William Gibson on fashion

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2015/03/06/william-gibson-on-fashion.html

I’ll forgive him for selling out if he promises to keep writing.

regarding “selling out” maybe a quote from Tool is appropriate here? “I sold my soul to make a record, and then you bought one”

I think that Iron Heart has mis-identified their target market…how can there possibly be enough lumbersexuals to support a company that sells $420 knock-offs of Levi’s 501s?

I’m all for a high-end line of Doctorow dress shirts, pants, leather wallets, macbook pro cases…

I’m not sure how much Gibson you’ve read, but him working with Buzz Ricksons makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, The Peripheral completely kicks ass IMHO, so he’s still very much “on it.”

I have to agree. I actually think it is his best book since Neuromancer.

Agreed, I think it was actually the perfect blend between the Sprawl Trilogy, Bridge Trilogy, and Bigend Trilogy. :smile:

I’ve read The Peripheral twice already, actually really want to get the audiobook as well for some gym listening.

And capes.

If you’d told me in 1995 that in twenty years, William Gibson would have a fashion label and Bruce Sterling would be writing essays on design, I probably wouldn’t have believed you, and if I had, I would have been very disillusioned.

And steampunk goggles.

So I’ve got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I’m the man,

If I’m the f&ckin’ man
Then you’re the f&ckin’ man as well
So you can
Point that f&ckin’ finger up your ass.

Twenty years ago, would you have guessed which of the two could still write good fiction?

Twenty five years ago, no. Twenty years ago (or nineteen anyway, after Idoru and Holy Fire had come out), yes.

Made out of duct tape

Only if they’re red capes and enables me to pilot balloons!

Considering how much research he must have had to do on fashion and textiles for Pattern Recognition/ Spook Country/ Zero History, I guess it shouldn’t be a huge surprise that life is imitating art. Especially because “Japan”.

A cape won’t enable you to pilot balloons. Having the skills and the balloon enables you to pilot one. :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.