William Gibson reads Neuromancer

[Permalink]

1 Like

It’s from the original audio edition of his seminal 1984 novel, which is sadly no longer available, though it’s easy enough to find bootlegs online.

Here, let me FTFY:

“It’s from the original audio edition of his seminal 1984 novel and since the publisher apparently doesn’t want to make money, feel free to find bootlegs online.”

2 Likes

While in basic training I read this to my squad every night. I’m sure they thought I was a loon.

Listened to the beginning of this version some years ago, sorry, but reading aloud is not Mr Gibson’s talent. There’s better audio versions. This is the beauty/flaw of audiobooks, the reader makes a huge difference to the experience. Some authors like Spider Robinson or Neil Gaiman are great readers, but it’s not a given that an author is the best reader of their material.

Have to agree with Gellfex–my admiration for Gibson’s writing chops is considerable (just finished reviewing The Peripheral, which is a real tour de force), but I recall bailing out of listening to Neuromancer. But then, I’m badly spoiled by the performances of the late Patrick Tull and David Case on the Aubrey-Maturin, Sharpe, and Flashman series. (BTW, if you like these novels and see a used copy of the audiobooks, even on cassette, grab it–these versions seem to have gone OP.)

For a voice actor Gibson makes a great writer.
In other words, this version is terrible.

Worth tracking down is the BBC radio play adaptation.

1 Like

I should really just read this but Gardner has my full attention right now. :smiley:

I still have my copy of CDs next to my floppy disk set of BCP. I need to boot up that old Mac laptop to play with BCP.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.