William Shatner: Actually, going to space was a huge bummer

Absolutely! When you think about it, actually going to Mars is the easy part.

The island effect really fucks everything up. EVERYTHING.

7 Likes

I should get around to reading the Mars trilogy, but am afraid that he’ll destroy my impression of him as a fundamentally pessimistic author. Yes. I have read Aurora; loved it.

2 Likes

Once you start packing everything you think you’ll need to establish a new biosphere you start running into what I call the “Noah’s Ark” problem pretty quick. You want to bring a pair of lions? Better make sure you have a breeding population of zebras to keep them well fed! And that means a whole lot of grass. And of course you’ll need lots of soil additives and nutrients and microbes and whatnot to keep the grass alive. And so on.

Even if the only species you ultimately care about keeping alive is humanity we aren’t exactly sold separately.

7 Likes

There’s always the approach from that story The Wandering Earth by Liu Cixin. Why pack when you can just build giant thrusters and take the whole Earth along for the ride?

3 Likes
2 Likes

There is a part in Aurora where the residents of the ship realize that the original mission planners neglected to bring along enough bromine, and the quantity they had was slowly leaching into structural elements of the ship, and it would be prohibitively expensive to extract it. The residents despair that there isn’t a source of it for five lightyears in either direction.

3 Likes

Someone forgot to consult with NileRed.

1 Like

Excellent point. And yet…I kind of want to hear more from the person who hears “hey, let’s start a colony on Mars!” And immediately thinks “great but first we’ll need some lions.” That’s a person I wouldn’t necessarily want to hang out with but would probably enjoy observing from a distance.

7 Likes

Except most scuba divers want to preserve life on earth and in its bodies of water.

4 Likes

I think if you read more of even his most recent stuff, that’ll happen anyway - his Green Earth series, for example, has as its hero the NSF, which more or less productively addresses climate change, a fundamentally optimistic outcome. Similarly, Ministry for the Future starts out dire, but solutions are found through the course of the novel. I think his post-capitalism futures are basically hopeful.

1 Like

I had the ?good luck to see The Road not knowing at all what to expect. At an outdoor movie screening at a lovely park in Sydney, by the waterfront and dotted with massive trees. I had exactly this feeling, wandering away at the end of that harrowing film. Our world is so beautiful, and I’d rarely appreciated it more.

4 Likes

To echo what others have said, I’m glad Shatner got this epiphany and is using his platform to share the news.
I’d also like to say, for plenty of us here, it didn’t take a rocket ship ride into space for us to realize the same exact thing.
In ecological terms we were born into a veritable Eden.

10 Likes

I love movies like The Road and shows like The Walking Dead specifically because they make me feel really good about my life and appreciate that I didn’t have to eat a stray dog or my neighbour to survive even once this week. In fact I think I have some really nice Havarti in the fridge…

4 Likes

Reddit:

William Shatner trying to share his unique view of traveling to space dies inside after Jeff Bezos thinks champagne showers are more important.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchPeopleDieInside/comments/xzzsas/william_shatner_trying_to_share_his_unique_view/

7 Likes

I dunno, I see plenty of people on earth living in environments I would consider hellish, and yet to them it’s perfectly normal and they don’t think anything of it because it’s all they’ve known. I imagine first generation colonizers might struggle with it but by the second or third they could very well be fine.

6 Likes

The challenge, I believe, is getting past that first generation. A lot of social upheaval could happen.

Also, figuring out if humans are even capable of reproducing in a lower gravity/higher radiation environment.

3 Likes

NASA has been really dragging its heels on research in this department.

What are they waiting for?

1 Like

That’s fantastic, I didn’t know it was really even a thing, much less the name!

I have long said the key to world peace and turning things around on this planet is to fly every CEO, President, general, dictator and billionaire - all the people with the power - up to the ISS, so they can look down at this tiny earth and hopefully have this very epiphany - just before ejecting them from the airlock.

10 Likes

Officially the married astronauts Doug Hurley and Karen Nyberg didn’t get it on when they flew a mission together in the ‘90s but, come on, they aren’t fooling anyone.

2 Likes