William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in 1985 Western Airlines ad

Originally published at: William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in 1985 Western Airlines ad | Boing Boing

4 Likes

tenor-4

11 Likes

You get three feet for your two legs on Western Airlines!

5 Likes

“The only way to fly” is just as false as “There is only one Jeep”

3 Likes

That line is fun because it’s being delivered by a bird reclining on the moving airplane

5 Likes

Voiced by Jim Backus, as I recall.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So this is what the birds involved in birdstrikes of planes are trying to attempt. Seems like it doesn’t generally end well for the birds, and occasionally the plane as well.

1 Like

It’s cheesy, but I kind of like media that makes the assumption that because actors’ characters were very close in fiction, they must be best buds in real life who constantly hang out with each other. There’s something charmingly naive about it. I wonder how often it’s true.

4 Likes

And again for VW:

6 Likes

No gremlins sighted on the wing.

5 Likes

Last time i saw wigs that good i was watching Ru Pauls Drag Race!

At the one broadcast news station I worked at early in my journalism career we had a sports show that came on after ours. It was popular because the two knowledgeable hosts would riff and banter and joke through the clips as if they were two buddies in a man cave on the weekend.

So it was startling to see them suddenly go quiet and go their separate ways from the desk the instant the director said they were out. They never interacted elsewhere in the studio and offices, either. I don’t think they disliked each-other, but it was complete indifference off-camera.

Sometimes it’s like that, sometimes it’s dislike like Martin and Lewis, sometimes it’s genuine friendship like Brooks and Reiner. With talented professionals it’s hard to know what’s going on beyond the on-screen chemistry.

From what I understand, it was kind of a mixed bag with Shatner and Nimoy. They liked working with each-other but had very different personalities and temperaments that didn’t make them friends like we see in the ad and sometimes caused them to clash.

2 Likes

Nope. It was a different voice actor

1 Like

Backus was the original, but the actor in you video is definitely one of the later ones.

Indeed, everything I’ve read suggests Shatner was not well liked among the cast and crew. Apparently not an easy guy to work with or get along with.

2 Likes

No love for Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.