Leonard Nimoy fought for pay equity for Nichelle Nichols

[Permalink]

5 Likes

Guy was a class act by all accounts I could find. Sure for a time he was bitter about being known only for Spock, but a lot of actors that get overshadowed by one role seem to (will Wheaton for example ended up near suicidal as a result) but I can’t fault him for frustration.

2 Likes

Man, more reasons for certain repugs to dislike the guy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/conservative-columnist-cant-mourn-nimoys-death-because-spock-reminds-him-of-obama/

5 Likes

the fact that obama gets compared to spock is clearly a plus.

3 Likes

Someone should tell him that the character flaws of the young Spock in the new franchise can’t really be held against Nimoy… Eh, probably wouldn’t help.

Of course. It was the logical thing to do.

4 Likes

But there’s still the problem that he’s only half human - I mean white.

4 Likes

I’m strangely disappointed that I didn’t know this (and a whole lot of the other wonderful things that are being reported) while he was alive. Not that I followed his career closely or anything, but it seems a loss.

And yes, Spock, but he’ll always be William Bell to me.

2 Likes

Ah, Belly. Would that we could preserve him in amber.

3 Likes

Spock spends most of his life as a freelancing diplomat eager to negotiate with the worst enemies of Starfleet.

Well that certainly lends a particular editorial perspective to a show about people who tromp around the galaxy sticking their noses in other people’s business, uninvited.

Actually, the parallel there with Starfleet is a pretty good one. How about we talk about that instead? Galaxy police, World Police?

In the linked article, he also writes:

though probably not as long as it will take my friends to stop laughing at me for writing this column.

And everyone else, pretty much.

Wow I just read that, and the guy thinks Spock died. Somebody should tell him Nimoy played other roles too, and he was a big fat Jewish liberal.

4 Likes

What a way to turn lemonade into sour, sour lemons.

1 Like

Some people thrive on lemons. The writing of that guy suggests he uses battery acid instead of orange juice for his breakfasts.

4 Likes

Helped others go forth and prosper.

1 Like

“Spock spends most of his life as a freelancing diplomat eager to negotiate with the worst enemies of Starfleet.”

He says this as if it’s a bad thing. Which a suppose it would be, if you were heavily invested in military contractors for Starfleet. Trying to turn enemies into allies is bad for business.

7 Likes

Watched Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country last night. It’s totally about Israel and Iran.

2 Likes

Maybe, but WIkipedia says the idea came from Nimoy asking what would happen if the Berlin Wall came down in space. So, I’d say rather that it shows that there are only so many different possible conflicts between governments.

Sci-fi and, sometimes, fantasy, take our stories in order to rip away all the irrelevancies (and replace them with new ones), but the new ones have no pre-existing emotional force so they don’t bias our judgments.

5 Likes

That’s what I meant: Undiscovered Country is totally about Israel and Iran now. In ten years, it’ll be about some other (hopefully different) Terran geopolitical mess. Unfortunately, it took a really dire situation to make the Klingons (some of them, anyway, and grudgingly) want to make peace. I don’t know/shudder to think what an equivalent situation would look like for I&I.

1 Like

It would float around up there in pieces until someone went and cleaned it up.

6 Likes

He also fought to get Nichols and Takei on The Animated Series.

2 Likes