Leonard Nimoy fought for pay equity for Nichelle Nichols

In space, there is no clear “down.”

Unless you’re on Star Trek, in which case you can find “down” by checking the orientation of the spaceships.

3 Likes

Whatever direction the gate is in…

2 Likes

This guy wrote the book "The Persecution of Sarah Palin: How the Elite Media Tried to Bring Down a Rising Star. He’s married to William Kristol’s daughter. It all makes sense.

Matt Continetti: a face only a mother could love.

1 Like

On the one hand, of course RWNJ writes this. OTOH, it’s a little surprising the RWNJs don’t try to re-history Spock as a Conservative Hero.

I see some differences.

We all know the Federation/Klingon Empire thing was constructed as a parallel to the end of the US/USSR conflict.
It didn’t fit perfectly, for while the economic problems of the USSR played a part, I think a certain soviet leader pushing for increased openness and reforms, and a few peaceful revolutions in Warsaw pact countries played a part.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, I disliked the simplistic spin it put on things. Especially if you consider the underlying message: There can only be peace when your enemy suffers a catastrophe and is basically ready to give up while saving face.

Now the whole Iran thing is even more complex… It’s not just Israel/Iran; it’s Israel-US-EU/Iran. And Israel isn’t actually part of the current round of negotiations.
Star Trek never had the sophistication to allow for other “good guy” political entities besides the Federation*.

* whether the Federation are the “good guys” is debatable. After all, it’s been a military dictatorship from the start, and the dominance of English-speaking white humans is really blatant.

I love that crap. “Elite media”.
The republicans love to use that word a lot. Elite. Helps them secure the rube base. Because you know, there’s nothing less elite than a billionaire.
Speaking of Bill Kristol, that guy kills me. He wrote an OpEd some years back about Obama’s horrible commencement speech at Wesleyan University and he used all the buzz words. At the time, I didn’t know much about the guy because I had only seen him as a talking head. He wrote that Obama was speaking at some “elite north east university” and in giving the new graduates a push into the future, our president did not ONCE tell them that they should join the military!
Looking Mr. Kristol up online -
College - BA and PhD from Harvard. Most certainly NOT elite.
Military service - zero.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.