Wilson and Shea's Illuminatus! trilogy to become TV series

Tbh, I think the Black Mass scene would possibly generate more outrage, especially from the Catholic League and similar. It’s been years since I stopped believing, and I still get a frisson of shock from reading that bit.

1 Like

It’s been a long time. Do you mean the scene featuring Simon and (maybe) Rhoda performing alchemical sex magic? Does Billy Graham make an appearance in there somewhere? That might upset a few apple carts.

1 Like

I didn’t think bb allowed blank posts - wtf?

I don’t know why I should find that so upsetting, but it bugs me somehow.

5 Likes

George, several days later: Why’s the apple empty today?
Hagbard: Cuz it’s your turn in the apple, of course.

7 Likes

The scene in Chicago where they conjure up “Satan” Billy Graham.

4 Likes
5 Likes

mmh, as I said, it’s been too long. I guess I’m due for a re-read.

3 Likes

Ken Campbell’s daughter Daisy carries on his gloriously anarchic stage tradition, she has directed a version of his 24 Hour Warp - if there’s any justice they should get her involved

5 Likes

Season 2 trailer just came out, so there’s still time. Hold out hope!

1 Like

FNORD!! (My version of “squee”!)
—Signed the Mgt

4 Likes

I recommend the audiobook.

INTERIOR: THE COMMAND BRIDGE OF THE LEIF ERICKSON
Steam is hissing out of vents, portholes and from between the control panels, osbcuring the view.
HAGBARD CELINE is slumped at the helm, brooding broodingly and clutching a small metal object.
CLOSE UP on the object in HAGBARD’S hand: it is a small metallic apple, but the image is so desaturated that we cannot tell if it is a golden apple, or a silver apple, or if its just grey and colorless like everything else in this movie.
HAGBARD sighs, broods and squints.
Suddenly, the apparition of LILITH VELKOR manifests out of thin air in front of him! She is wearing a very tight, very steampunkish corset from Hot Topic and little else. HAGBARD squints.

LILITH
                I see the fnords now.

HAGBARD
                But do the fnords see you?

With sudden suddenness HAGBARD lunges forward and swings his fist at LILITH, but we go into SLOW MOTION and the punch takes forever to land.

Fade to grey.

6 Likes

6 Likes

No thanks. What would have been a good Dawn of the Dead remake was ruined with a bit of right-wing bullshit.

3 Likes

Here’s my honest first reaction: Americas general population is not currently consuming enough psychedelics to learn the right lessons from an adaptation of this, so if it becomes popular, it will serve a very different aspect of Eris than it once did.

6 Likes

But as we learned with Shoggoth On The Roof, there are some things that man was not intended to portray as musical theater.

5 Likes

I saw it a year or so ago (first time since I originally saw it in a theater) and it held up better than I remembered. But it always seemed to me more like a story about Lee/Burroughs around the time he started writing Naked Lunch, rather than an adaptation of the work itself.

Come to think of it, re-reading Naked Lunch worked the same way, or at least made some kind of sense in that context. (But the first Burroughs I read was Exterminator!.)

That one really messed with my head (in a good way; like Naked Lunch) when I first read it (and I read it before the Trilogy) but it did not hold together at all on the second reading. Maybe after all the other RAW I’d read by then, suspension of disbelief was no longer possible.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.