Wilson and Shea's Illuminatus! trilogy to become TV series

Are they going to fuck up the ending? When is it set? 80-90s and Internet has changed the conspiracy scene a lot.

Hail Eris

3 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it and if I see it I definitely won’t believe it!

9 Likes

Well, who would have thunk that anyone could tackle, let alone get close to, The Naked Lunch?

9 Likes

Well, Cronenberg’s film is a great work, but I wouldn’t exactly say it got close to the novel. I recall Cronenberg saying a faithful adaptation would be illegal throughout the world. (Paraphrased from memory)

6 Likes

You have NO excuse for this! Haven’t you heard of torrents?? I have no TV even and I’ve got this… ANYTHING that starts with a guy vomiting blood into an ice-filled urinal in a NYC dive bar and then proceeds to get weird, well…

2 Likes

The fact that it was attempted let alone actually made makes it awesome. It is pretty close in spirit.

2 Likes

In my mind it was happening on fake looking cheap sets in the brown 70s vision of the near future.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I can recall a single female character in that series who was not interchangeable with the giant golden Apple* used in the initiation scene. Gonna be interesting to see how that gets dealt with, if at all.

Also weren’t there a couple of characters with a major thing for young boys? That should go over well, I’m sure.

Personally I’m hoping they manage to include the appendices. Even if they’re just a lecture with a few infographics.

* my iPad insists on capitalizing Apple and, okay, sure, go with it.

** fnord.

6 Likes

That teenage girl who takes over from Celine… Does she ever say or do anything? My memory says no… Guessing I’m wrong about that.

I hope it’s done in the style of Rocky Horror Picture Show.

3 Likes

Yeah, though I think that was more a nod to Naked Lunch and some of the seedier stuff that came from the Playboy letters to the editor that they used. Wilson and Shea had been working there, so that whole Real Men and Bimbos mentality is there. And to a degree, lampshaded.

I guess if I were doing the series, I would try very, very hard to keep the “Ha Ha Only Serious” tone. Make it clearly a funhouse mirror world different from ours, to better make a point about The Man, and Meet The Old Boss, Same As The New Boss…

…and make Trump a homeless has-been who went bust in the 1990s and never recovered, ranting about how US President Vince McMahon cheated him. That would be fun to see.

As for if I will watch it or not, well, look at my user name. :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

I was concerned when I saw the headline. The source material is not that great, and it uncritically glorifies a lot of bad things, and many of its themes have already been done to death.

But if this series is anything like Happy! I’ll totally watch it anyway

2 Likes

But that was by Ken Campbell, and he’s dead, and we shall never see his like again.

3 Likes

Maybe even the missing ones!

3 Likes

Fnord. The stage play was by Ken Campbell; so, its success might have been heavily dependent upon his anarchic ability to synthesize the atmosphere of the books. I guess we need to hope that the writers working on the TV/Streaming adaptation are as simpatico with the subject matter and the tone. Imagine if Zach Snyder got the option on the Illuminatus! Trilogy? The Illuminati would probably win; crushing those Discordian Beta Cucks.

5 Likes

I find it hard to look at your user name; which is odd, as “ius” shouldn’t fill me with such anxiety.

7 Likes

I would like to see an adaption of “Masks of the Illuminati.” James Joyce, Albert Einstein and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar and solve a mystery. Not quite as sprawling as the trilogy, but focuses on the philosophy.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have yet to meet a director who so elegantly and entirely misses the point as that person. May he stay as far from the project as possible. Give me Tom Tykwer instead, or Alfonso Cuarón.

4 Likes

Well, almost every single female character was the same woman, who was, IIRC, inside the giant golden apple during that scene. And they did get to morph into a giant space waifu and kick zombie Nazi butts in the climax.

But yes, a faithful adaptation is unlikely to pass the Bechdel test.

6 Likes

There was a woman inside the apple. (Or possibly a goat.)

2 Likes

Well, yes, but you can’t see her. Or not very much of her at any rate.

3 Likes