Watch the trailer for the upcoming Watchman series on HBO

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/09/watch-the-trailer-for-the-upco.html

3 Likes

This seems to lack the understated subtlety of the Snyder movie, but it still might be good.

Does it take place following the events of Watchmen, is it just a different story involving some of the same characters?

was any of that in the actual novel?

To clarify, this series is actually a loose adaptation of Geoff Jones’s ongoing graphic novel “Doomsday Clock”, a weird little work-for-hire sequel that merges the “Watchmen” reality with the main DC comics “Superman world” - wich is kinda ironic since “Watchmen” started out as scathing satire of exactly those things.

I call it a “loose adaptation” because apparently Lindeloef has cut Superman, Batman and the rest of the proper DC characters out of the script while keeping Jones’s new Watchmen characters, wich makes it an even rarer creature.

10 Likes

Obligatory Pagliacci joke, courtesy of Tom the Dancing Bug (3/27/2019)

Capture

17 Likes

I’m not sure what to think of this. Is it going to be a “Further Adventures of the Watchmen” kind of thing? Maybe Night Owl and Silk Spectre II take the kids out for pizza and end up having to battle a giant nutria from the sewer? Or maybe it’ll be the further adventures of hard-drinkin’ superheroes who just sit around re-living the glory days and talking about their health issues? Either way, it probably won’t be very good, but I’ll probably check it out because I loved the movie and out of morbid curiosity.

2 Likes

You lost me at “Damon Lindelof”, except for the chance to post one of my top 3 favorite movie reviews.

8 Likes

A lot of people were mad at Snyder for cutting out the silly space-squid, but I was most disappointed that he left out Nite Owl’s beer gut.

8 Likes

So… not Watchmen.

3 Likes

space squids are essential.

2 Likes

Nope - not a bit.

4 Likes

There’s still an easter egg reference to it in the movie version. If you look carefully, the high-tech free energy doodad Ozymondias’ researchers are working on is called the Sub-Quantum Intrinsic field Device.

9 Likes

See, I liked the squid but honestly think it would not have translated well to film. It would require too much explanation in an already long movie.

Completely agree about the beer gut. Also, it irked me a little that the fire scene was turned into an Action scene. They at least acknowledged it when they showed silk spectre putting away the coffee cups after.

7 Likes

sigh.

Anyone else getting tired of superhero comics getting all the attention? I recognize that Watchmen is a deconstruction of superheroes but it still follows the superhero narrative–i.e. a chronicle of events much like a chivalric romance and less about the interior space of the characters, their emotional impact on each other, or their perception of reality, as the modern novel tends to explore.

There are plenty of comics like that, so why don’t we see adaptations of them?

1 Like

That may have even been Moore’s reason for including it in the first place.

Then again, back in the 80s it probably also would have been hard to imagine Hollywood producing a film that involved so much Giant Glowing Blue Penis.

9 Likes

This thread’s worth it just for this little insight, right here.

3 Likes

We still have to give Mystique credit for opening the door for naked blue people in film back in 2000.

Sadly I think Sonic the Hedgehog might be poised to set the cause back at least a couple of decades.

10 Likes
7 Likes

Terry Gilliam was supposed to direct Watchmen in the early 1990s. I don’t think he’s busy now that he’s finally got his Don Quixote movie made.

Maybe we’re the Watchmen and the expectation is that we watch this program…which has no actual Watchmen.

4 Likes