Watch the trailer for the upcoming Watchman series on HBO

But, who would watch us?

5 Likes

I want to find the person who wrote this script and hit him or her in the face with a clock.

2 Likes

bullseye. furthermore…

this drama series embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name while attempting to break new ground of its own

“IT BROKE NEW GROUND!” (mike stoklasa)

2 Likes

is this ironic? I mean, I dont hate the movie, but “subtle”?!? hack snyder subtle? snyder translated most of it one-to-one from the source, thats the only reason in my opinion it wasnt a total shitfest.

Rorschach killing the child-molester-kidnapper-murderer in a rage with a cleaver?!? thats not how rorschach was born, thats a completly misinterpretation of the character! same goes for the comedian, as he tried to rape sally jupiter as it goes for hooded justice in the same scene; hooded justice stops to beat the shit out of the comedian, as blake simply states to hooded justice “thats what makes you hot, right?”. in the film, he beats him even more after that. hack snyder doesnt even understand the basics in the comics.

so no, no subtlety here, not from snyder. he aint fucking alan moore, thats for sure.

yyyyyyyep. although this mentioned 80ties show from @BakaNeko is great.

(still cant find the pilot, nobody seemed to bother to tape it after the cancellation of the series)

3 Likes

I’ll probably check it out because the movie was trash and this can’t be worse :wink:

4 Likes

Google, Facebook, and the rest of their ilk. It’s more like the AppleWatchmen, really.

3 Likes

For those poo-pooing Lindelof I strongly, strongly urge you to watch ‘The Leftovers’ IMO one of the best and overlooked, TV shows of the last 10 years. Maybe since 2000.

As far as I’m concerned he can do whatever he wants after that show and I am excited as all shit for whatever the fuck this turns out to be

1 Like

L7mULgT

4 Likes

3 Likes

I actually thought that making Dr Manhattan the enemy was smarter from Ozymandias’ POV.

3 Likes

Yes. Yes, I reckon it is.

1 Like

I’d say that’s pretty much exactly what Watchmen is about.

I hear that a lot but it’s not quite, from what I recall. Characters are given compelling and emotionally deep backstories, but events are chronicled by a distant, objective(-seeming) observer.

I don’t remember Watchmen delving too deeply into the subjective experiences of the characters; most of the storytelling was watching things unfold, not depictions of characters’ internal states.

This article deals a little bit with the sort of literary legacy that I wish we’d see more of. There are plenty of comics that take this intense, subjective narrative approach. They just tend to need much lower special effects budgets, so they’re hard to sell as blockbusters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/books/2016/jul/23/the-man-who-invented-fiction-miguel-de-cervantes-william-egginton-review

Well, I suppose it all depends on how much of those elements you require but I’d say it’s hard to argue that one doesn’t get insights into at least the main characters’ subjective experiences and their internal states and the whole thing is arguably about their group dynamics and the perception of reality (especially Dr Manhattan’s sections and the whole giant space squid thing).

Of course, there is the fact that it’s being done in the medium of a super-hero comic so there is the giant space squid thing.

So the comma space is implied?

I guess Watchmen does look snazzier than Watch, Men. Also somewhat more gender inclusive.

That’s more or less what I’m saying, although there are a few examples showing that you can do superheroes with the intimacy of extreme subjectivity. Moore did it with V for Vendetta (warning: I never read the graphic novel, so I might be off base there). The Maxx did an amazing job of creating a classic superhero with novelistic subjectivity.

Because the movie/tv adaptations of Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth* and Hey, Wait… would result in a spike in suicides.

I dunno seriously, graphic novels have a way of being able to get gut punches across that I would normally avoid as being too painful.

And Persepolis and Harvey Pekar’s work had successful adaptations, though maybe the amount of attention they received compared to superhero adaptations proves your point.

*summed up nicely by this review lede: “What the hell is it about “Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth” that takes a straightforward, but sad story and drives it to the edge of cripplingly depressing?”

1 Like

For successful TV/cartoon/cripplingly depressing let me recommend Bojack Horseman to you. (It’s not an adaptation, though I don’t think that’s relevant to your point.)

1 Like

I think one unfortunate thing about the Snyder movie was the excising of Captain Metropolis. Because then it turns out Ozymandias is setting up the new meeting of the “Crime Busters”, and his whole motivation ultimately seems like revenge for getting spurned rather than a grander scheme. But even fixing that probably wouldn’t have made up for the absence of the squid.

Not sure what to think about this new thing so far.

1 Like

This is a tangent, but if I were to write an adaptation of Watchmen, I would focus exclusively on all the characters and plot lines that Snyder omitted from his version: the “ordinary people” on the corner of Fortieth Street and Seventh Avenue. Tell the whole story from that perspective.

Bernard & Bernard would obviously be the main characters, and Fine’s & Bourquin’s investigation is what drives the plot forward. The supes are never seen in costume and the battles are only referred to in newscasts.

And just as soon as we’ve become properly invested in Joey and Aline’s crumbling relationship, or Malcolm’s struggle for redemption, they all die horribly and we never find out why.