Windows 10 now "infested with annoying ads"

Somehow I must have stomped whatever drives the advertising, because I don’t get any so far. Not using Edge and pre-emptively stomping Cortana and similar stuff probably helped.

4 Likes

Keep the pictures, lose the Annoying hot links

6 Likes

BoingBoing understands how important it is to take a zero-tolerance policy to advertisements awkwardly permeating everything we do. By the way, are you interested in a Bluetooth shower speaker, or perhaps a Mac app bundle?

12 Likes

I’ll take ads if it means that I can successfully kill Cortana. That darn thing pops up any time my cursor strays anywhere close to the edge of the screen.

1 Like

You can uninstall OneDrive completely from windows 10 using this batch file.

Yeah, probably not a great idea running text from random people on the internet but you can have others look at this.

@echo off
cls

set x86="%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe"
set x64="%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe"

echo Closing OneDrive process.
echo.
taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe > NUL 2>&1
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Uninstalling OneDrive.
echo.
if exist %x64% (
%x64% /uninstall
) else (
%x86% /uninstall
)
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1

echo Removing OneDrive leftovers.
echo.
rd "%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "C:\OneDriveTemp" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1 

echo Removing OneDrive from the Explorer Side Panel.
echo.
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1

pause

Much of the same data in less automated way is here:

7 Likes

Gimp. That’s all I have to say. In a sense it does almost all of what Photoshop does, but in practice I’d rather jab a sharpened pencil into the back of my hand.

9 Likes

Well you can’t truly kill it as that is what searches locally for autocomplete on the start menu and things like that.
But you can remove it form the task bar easily enough if that is what is annoying you.
Right click on the taskbar, Cortana, Hidden. Boom! Also if you go to Settings and search for Cortana there are a bunch of other things you can (edit: and really should) shut off with it.

1 Like

Thats all well and good. But “no, art” doesn’t really effectively refute “I have a professional need for this platform and that software”

@CaptainObvious described himself as a visual effects and motion graphics artist. That’s a specific job title in film and video production. Rather than a statement that one makes high art as one sees fit.

3 Likes

Thanks, I haven’t been annoyed enough at the same time as having enough free time to go hunting for more solutions yet. I may look into this.

Looks pretty straightforward, aside from double-checking that those registry keys are accurate.

I’m assuming the pings to localhost are a poor man’s pause, but I’d think a ‘sleep’ or ‘timeout’ would be more controlled.
[edit](ok, my batch scripting knowledge is slightly out of date, the sleep command isn’t available in newer Windows versions.)

2 Likes

Pretty much.

1 Like

Even ignoring the day job stuff (which is pretty hard to ignore for most of us), folks usually don’t want tools that fight them, produce inadequate results, or take way longer or more effort than necessary to produce their vision. It saps the life and energy out of your projects.

6 Likes

Agreed. There is no amount of money that you could pay me to get me to use GIMP or Inkscape or their kin.

4 Likes

You have to wonder what the hell microsoft are up to when window 10 adoption is stagnating. This is not the way to go about attracting new users, i’d argue this as well as things like spyware/telemetry and forced updates are turning people away from it (let’s add malware style upgrade practices like gwx and certain higher-ups saying windows 7 is unsafe to use). Those figures are extremely suspect anyway. This is a perpetual beta OS now, there’ll never be a stable version.

1 Like

Can confirm. We spend fuck-tons on volume licensing and still see this nonsense.

2 Likes

I won’t say this isn’t a thing. However I personally have not seen this behavior on my system. On the other hand I’ve got an early tester account so that might affect the results.

I note this machine is not linux because while it is old it is stil lthe ‘gaming’ machine of the house plus I want to keep the door open out of courtesy to family if they need a familiar enviroment.

Yeah. I don’t get them, either. And to be fair, Edge is pretty fast. The JavaScript engine is excellent.

1 Like

I realize that this is the sound of me tilting at windmills; but I’m a fan of the the ‘praise improvement; bash regression’ theory, rather than the ‘grade on a curve’ approach.

It certainly isn’t false that Apple has always played hardass about hardware support; and mostly gotten away with it; but what matters now is that Microsoft is apparently embracing a new, hostile, approach; which is a bad thing in and of itself(especially because the quality of Win10 updates suggests that the reduced complexity sure as hell isn’t being used to pay dividends in QA…)

3 Likes

Who needs a QA department when you have the Windows Insider Fast Update Track?

1 Like

Money, or rather lack of it, is why I use GIMP. It works, I understand most of it, and it works. I can save to formats that others can read. And I like it better than Photoshop CS3 (our “latest” vesion).
But we’re still using Illustrator CS3, because it works, and Inkscape is inexplicable and doesn’t work and can’t save worth a damn.
If I can get money down on a project, I buy a month of Adobe Cloud stuff. But for home use, it’s GIMP and old Illustrator.

2 Likes

You do know that you can go into notifications and turn the ads off, yeah? BTW, saying that Mac users switching to Windows is somehow equivalent to voting for Trump is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

4 Likes