Windows 10 now "infested with annoying ads"

There is a specific setting to disable the Office 365 notifications buried in privacy preferences.

2 Likes

I’m sure if someone was flicking my ear every few minutes, I could get them to stop (for a while) too, but I’d really rather not be in a position where I’m letting people flick me in the ear to begin with…

7 Likes

Hmmm… “officially at EOL”? I’m not aware of MS using the term “EOL” in any official capacity for versions of Windows. End of Mainstream Support. End of Sales. End of Extended Support, sure. (And many people refer to any one of those as EOL unofficially.) But Microsoft themselves (again, as far as I know) does not use the term EOL for versions of Windows as you suggest they do. (It’s certainly not used in their “Product lifecycle FAQ” that lists the various “end” dates for their Windows versions at any rate.) Google is not returning me any MS originated references either.

Do you have a link that shows an actual Microsoft usage of that term (EOL) in regards to Windows? As I mentioned, it’s often used generally to refer to various milestones in the support life of Windows versions. For example, you can see it used all over the place (but not by MS) to describe Windows 7 when mainstream support was discontinued. Many have described Windows 7 as indeed, EOL, due to that lack of mainstream support.

To say that “no one decides when a product is EOL but the consumer” is kind of silly, BTW, and shows a misunderstanding of the term, vague as it often may be. End of Life doesn’t mean a product can’t be used by consumers, or that consumers have to agree to that condition. It refers (variously) to the manufacturer’s selling, support and/or maintenance of the product.

3 Likes

“There’s always an option.” You sound like a good candidate for a hackintosh.

1 Like

ANY advertising or promotion inside an operating system is infesting.

4 Likes

I have one. It’s okay. It’s severely hobbled by the lack of updates, and updates that can break the whole, fragile build, plus lots of small things wrong with it like unstable driver support. It’s not worth the time I’ve put into as a one-man IT dept. It’s much more finicky than my other PCs. It’s not a machine I can rely on for production work. It is handy for a few tasks like prores encoding, however even that is less needed as better codecs emerge. For example I deliver the majority of my work in DNxHR now.

2 Likes

So I should go live on a farm and raise pigs instead? Sometimes that sounds preferable to dealing with clients. I mean technically you’re right. There’s always a choice.

4 Likes

I don’t know about pigs but here is some information on goats

5 Likes

Well count one more person in the column of “I’ve been using Windows 10 since launch and haven’t seen any of these adverts or similar things so I must be doing something wrong.”

And I’m not aware of having delved deep into settings to turn them off either. Maybe it’s just a matter of time until I do see them?

5 Likes

Huh, that’s interesting to hear about prores.

I’m going out to fix some issues with one of mine tomorrow. Deal is I get cookies. So yeah, you’re not wrong. :slight_smile: Do you make good cookies?

I’m with you, I’ve been using 10 at home since launch and 10 at work for about four months and don’t recall any ads anywhere. Not in the file browser, not in the systems, nothing.

I just got a new computer at work and Cortana wanted to help me with something so I clicked the button to turn that off, but I wouldn’t consider it an ad, more like how google maps wants me to turn on location to “be more helpful.”

6 Likes

Weird. I’m on Win10 Home, and don’t see anything I’d describe as ‘ads’, neither of MS products nor those of third parties.

I forget what I turned off at installation (pretty much everything), but it worked.

Win7 was my favourite too (or maybe Win98), but I’m entirely happy with Win10.

4 Likes

Same here. I use three Win 10 computers at work, three at home. Haven’t seen the ads–unless you count Candy Crush and the like getting installed-- but they only appeared as icons in my Start menu, and I got rid of them so quickly I barely remember. Unchecked the “Show suggestions at Start” setting and haven’t seen any more unwanted app appear.

5 Likes

Industry standards don’t work that way. You’re not just using something because everyone else does it. Often times the functionality you need does not exist (or does not work well) outside the industry standard software. And you need to be concerned about interoperability. You need to be able to take files from another person, and work on them. You need the files you deliver to be accessible to others who may be working on it. If you deliver work in whatever formats or software you personally prefer, along with the instructions to get a Linux box, download this software, learn to use it and service it if it doesn’t quite work. You will not get work. In freelance environments the end client will often times dictate the software you have to use, along with formats it must be delivered in. If you can’t or won’t work with that software or deliver those formats you aren’t working for that client. And that’s before you get to proprietary software. I used to work for a large webcasting company. All the in house tools for webcasting studio shoots were windows only. And with good reason. We didn’t have the resources to develop those tools for multiple OSes. Linux had reliability and connectivity issues that were incompatible with live broadcast. And Mac was rapidly disappearing from the from the professional spaces we were working in. And we were a Windows shop. So Windows got the development resources. Web based tools got us cross platform functionality for lighter work. But for the heavy shit our software only did Windows. And if you were gonna freelance for us you needed a Windows PC or we could not hire you.

Its all well and good to say that artists can do what they will. Lord Byron style artists making beautiful things in a vacuum with out a care in the world. Purely for their own satisfaction. Those of us who do this for a living (or try to). Those of us who need to eat. Those of us who aren’t artists in the traditional sense. But craftsmen and technicians in a creative industry. Well we’re gonna use the tools that are better, required by our job, and that everyone we work with can actually work with.

ETA: there’s also the issue of remaining competitive. If I run Linux, and I need three pieces of software and 12 hours to get a job done. But the guy on the industry standard needs one piece of software and 6 hours. Well in an in house situation I’m gonna catch shit for being less productive (or not be hired) and in a freelance/business standpoint my billings are gonna be a lot higher. And deadlines will be an issue either way. All of which will impact the bottom line.

8 Likes

Out of curiosity, would Amazon boxes wrapped in Amazon Prime tape and featuring the logo be considered annoying ads? Because I find that more pervasive than anything I’ve seen in Win 10.

4 Likes

Jobs, clients, deadlines, and competition don’t have anything to do with how I define art, but apparently YMMV. If one participates in a marketplace of products and/or services, then yes obviously one’s creativity would at best be constrained by that market.

My point was only that that is itself a choice, rather than an implicit condition.

1 Like

At least it was only twenty minutes.

I’ve worked help desk, and had to deal with people who have lost hours of work due to an untimely program crash and a lack of auto-save.

4 Likes

Jesus Christ, I have had to explain the cost/benefit of every one of those concepts. And that checklist is, while the intricacies of different TLS versions and repercussions, is still is a perfect score.

Everyone, just do what @wisconsinplatt just said. It is easier that way.

5 Likes

The only ad-like things in Win10 that bug me are the links that sometimes appear over the Windows Spotlight lock screen images (which I keep enabled because I really like the images). Usually the links are informative, taking you to a search results page (yes, Bing results in Edge) about whatever is featured in the image but occasionally they’re links to promotions and crap like that. But it’s pretty easy to tell from the phrasing what sort of link it is so it’s easy to avoid following those you’re not interested in.

I guess the file explorer ad for OneDrive was annoying too but it only took a few minutes to find out how to disable the mechanism that makes that possible. And if the promotional links in Windows Spotlight started to annoy me I could disable Windows Spotlight as well.

So all this gnashing of teeth over Windows 10 never really impresses me.

6 Likes

Same here. I have a MacBook, but I have Photoshop for PC. It was cheaper to buy and install Windows for the MacBook than to buy Photoshop for the Mac.

Also, one of the applications I used to use for work relied on an extension for Excel.

Also, I needed Windows so I could play Fallout New Vegas and Silent Storm.

4 Likes