Wintergatan makes spectacular musical machines

Originally published at: Wintergatan makes spectacular musical machines | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Makes me want to dust off my Animusic DVD.

1 Like

This was amazing but ultimately futile. Y’all are so far behind on Wintergatan. Martin was building the Marble Machine X for about 4years before conceding defeat. It was a fascinating journey watching his growth as an artist, engineer, designer, and musician. He is now reconceiving the idea and working on MM3. Check out his YouTube for past and future episodes.
His original video shows the dream best. Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles) - YouTube

2 Likes

I enjoyed watching his videos about the Marble Machine X, but lost interest when he abandoned that project. There were good reasons to scrap that design–it doesn’t seem like it will ever be capable of playing music reliably. Looking forward to dipping back in once the new design gets farther along.

2 Likes

Sounds like his crypto scam to fund the project didn’t work out.

I lost all confidence that he knew what he was doing after that.

1 Like

He was involved in crypto currencies? I don’t recall him talking about in the videos I watched, but I also didn’t seek out his web presence beyond youtube.

I was a supporting subscriber of his channel, but when he abruptly abandoned Marble Machine X, I sincerely questioned his true motives.

2 Likes

Count me among those who gave up on his channel after the frustrating Marble Machine X endeavor. I watched every video faithfully during early COVID in anticipation of the grand conclusion, but the constant redesigns and overengineering drove me nuts. And then it just ended, with no payoff.

3 Likes

I found their original video fascinating, and watched the MMX design eagerly, especially the installments where they meticulously worked out design issues that were causing problems, sorting out little vibrations or hitches in the flow of ball bearings. Then, it seems like they started wanting every single aspect to be absolutely perfect, and let that be the enemy of progress. Once they went through 10 variations on something designed to drop a metal ball, I knew the end was near, and wasn’t really all that surprised when they formally abandoned the project. Still disappointing, though. Wintergatan has some neat ideas, when they’re focusing on creativity and not perfection.

3 Likes

He announced it on Youtube, that he was going to fund Marble Machine X by issuing his own crypto currency. Apparently how it would work was planned on his discord. I would guess more details are there.

I unsubscribed after that announcement, and didn’t care to learn anything more.

3 Likes

Must have missed the videos about it or tuned out while he was talking about it. My eyes tend to glaze over when crypto comes up.

Classic “second system” design, then?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.