With crossbow, 'Good Samaritan' accidentally kills man he was trying to save from 2 pit bulls' attack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/neighbor-kills-man-with-crossb.html

3 Likes

So not a responsible crossbow owner.

11 Likes

I suspect the crossbow dude imagined himself like this…

When he was probably more like this…

walking-dead-daryldixcrossbow|nullxnull

We can’t all be Daryl Dixon…

22 Likes

I guess they were playing under some optional house rules where a critical miss when firing into a melee will instead hit a random target in the melee…

11 Likes

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with 2 pitbulls is a good guy with a crossbow?

6 Likes

See, irresponsible people like this are why people should use firearms instead of toys like crossbows.

5 Likes

It doesn’t seem like there was going to be a positive outcome here, no matter what.

5 Likes

Apparently not a Good Shotarian.

4 Likes

To be fair, it seems he was a good shot, but underestimated the penetration power of a crossbow. (It’s easy to think of arrows as being “weaker” than bullets, the greater mass makes them much harder to stop)

9 Likes

It’s why I wouldn’t use a gun for home defense either. I can’t blast into a melee without a high chance of unintended causalities. Anyone who thinks they can shoot into tussle needs to at least show us their Marksmanship badge or some serious amount of hours training at a range under an instructor. Amateur wannabe heroes are some of the tedious fools I’ve dealt with.

8 Likes

The National Crossbow Association is calling for thoughts and prayers.

15 Likes

Jeez, rough neighborhood

2 Likes

A crossbow does not shoot arrows. It shoots bolts or quarrels.

(This distinction is very important when playing certain CRPGs, since arrows are more common than bolts)

9 Likes

“The National Crossbow Association is calling for thoughts and prayers.”

Because… CROSSBOWS don’t kill people, PEOPLE kill people.

4 Likes

Yup, I remember that from Baldur’s Gate. Shorter, heavier. Just went with the terminology the article used.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, the guy wasn’t killed by the pit bulls, so technically mission accomplished?

Bad jokes aside - two grown pit bulls and a child in an apartment doesn’t sound like a good idea to begin with. I’d like to have more information/background on this. I don’t want to jump to conclusions.
Right now the tally seems to be one dead guy, two dead dogs - and one traumatized, orphaned kid.
Yeah, real cute.

7 Likes

The only thing that will stop two bad pitbulls with crowbars is a good guy with a crowbar.

Well yeah its a bit like how bullets can kill cancer.

2 Likes

It shot a bolt at the quarrel, a dog, a door, and a man who was not having a good day, turning it into the worst day of his life.

2 Likes