With "OK boomer," millennials are killing intergenerational resentment

Of course it’s OK. Their hats are all the wrong shapes.

4 Likes

FTFY

characters

4 Likes

I have a lot of millennial friends who are completely unconcerned about age, one of my best friends is twenty years younger than me, and he in turn counts another guy about ten years older than me as one of his best friends.

3 Likes

I was sad to have been told that although I am in my 40s I am a boomer.

killing it, indeed.

2 Likes

Whatever the fuck floats your boat that doesn’t rock mine is “OK”, bro.

10 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s funny anyone thinks “I’ll pretend Gen X doesn’t exist” is a way to own Boomers.

It’s more a way to act like Boomers.

14 Likes

Because we were hating baby boomers before it was cool!

(actually I asked my kids, they all had heard of this, and all of my college-age students had as well. I had not heard of this before the NYT article)

2 Likes

Maybe some of that. I just thought that it was because at ages 11-21 it is hard to see what old means.

I remember when Thirtysomething aired, and I was like, “who cares about these old people ?”

5 Likes

Right?

Most of the iconic pop culture comics, books, tv shows, and films that Millennials and Z Gens love came from… wait for it, Gen X.

13 Likes

I’m fine with some animosity towards the olds because look in the news. Who is fucking shit up? Yeah, old, out of touch white-hairs and blue-hairs trying to run things like all that matters is their retirement portfolio and letting the planet go to hell so they can suck up all the money. Well FUKKKKKKK THATTTTT and FUCKK em for spoiling the future. So, I am perfectly fine with calling them out and being all passive aggressive at them. They deserve it and more.

3 Likes

Ask the next Boomer who starts ranting about Millennials.

As for me, I’m glad neither the Boomers nor the Millennials acknowledge my generation’s existence.

13 Likes

224px-Bsg-valerii-1

7 Likes

It’s fair to assume that the older one is, the more probable it is that one will share the outlook on life and disdain for younger people that they respond to with “Ok Boomer” (in the article it’s acknowledged by several people that this is more important than age). The arsehole who started the whole “avocado toast” business was himself a Millenial (another “self-made” real estate mogul who got his start with family money). As I said in another topic:

For me, “Boomer” is less a definition of a generational cohort than it is a definition of a selfish and toxic and ultimately delusional white American attitude toward society that emerged over the course of the postwar economic anomaly (approx. 1947-2007, give or take). Few individuals better typify the attitude than the repulsive David “Bobo” Brooks.

Slotting people into that category by birth year alone isn’t helpful, because there are all too many Silents and Gen-Xers (to use the standard generational terms) who’ve internalised this crappy outlook, and plenty of Boomers who reject it.

[…]

The chronology does factor in enough that calling them Republicans or conservatives or neoliberals doesn’t quite cut it. The rough age cohort we call Boomers (a group with the numbers for serious demographic clout) were born into and lived their entire lives in an unusual period of American prosperity that deeply informed the crappy attitude we now associate with the generation (or at least the “easy mode” default). That attitude also crosses party lines – witness the typical member of the Dem Third Way establishment.

Currently, for every year younger a person is than 55 it’s less and less likely that their conservatism (assuming they embrace it at all) will be informed by the same assumptions as those over 55, or will take the same form that theirs did. As bad as the Boomer embrace of Reaganism was for American politics (and the planet in general), Millenial right-wing populism may turn out to be a worse trend.

13 Likes

Generational differences are manufactured marketing bullshit to be sure, but the years 1975 to 1990 did produce some kickass movies, great music and even some positive societal advancements. Of course, the latter is something certain parties are trying to erode even as I type…

11 Likes

I remember when I was that old and I was squicked out by the idea of thirtysomethings dating.

Then again, that may have been environmental. Most of my immediate family had gotten married in their late teens, early 20s. My grandma became a grandma in her 30s, and my parents had two kids in college in their 30s.

Now it’s the opposite. Anyone who isn’t at least in their 30s looks like a small child to me.

12 Likes

Last scene on the dock with the crawdad was a nice twist.

3 Likes

Maybe, but the Boomers get credit for those. And those young enough to remember these things but too young to create them are considered Millennials, even if they aren’t.

I’m the generation in between that nobody really ever gave a fuck about. I don’t care though. If anyone did give a fuck about us, we’d get hate from both the Boomers and the Millennials.

7 Likes

All I know is that I’m thankful that so much of the best movies, music, and pop culture just happened to have been made while I was young and in my formative years. It must suck for the people older and younger than me whose generations’ contributions to pop culture are not nearly as memorable or significant.

7 Likes

13 Likes