With Scottish independence in the offing, what would happen to the British flag?

It’s difficult to fly a 3D flag with a big animated hologram from the mast of a ship.

1 Like

I never got that quip. The shared history of the United Kingdom and the United States is far longer than the 200 years since they went separate ways.

:wink: agreed.

We have got a shed load full of flags that we could borrow on (I suspect every nation does) :smile:

Gouldina, it’s already happened.
Just Google “removal of Australia’s Whitlam government in 1975 by the queen’s representative in Australia, the Governor General”.
So am I “Proper deluded”,
or just better informed?

Mo Riddiford

SAUDI ARABIA
(for telephoning and texting)
+966 (0) 56 36 52 871
Germany (texting ONLY)
+49 (0) 178 522 8110

How has no one posted this song?

1 Like

Yes because you paint a picture of a ‘Queen’ dismissing Australian politicians, through her own initiative. This is not the case.

The news that Whitlam had been dismissed spread across Australia during the afternoon, triggering immediate protest demonstrations. On 12 November, Scholes wrote to the Queen, asking her to restore Whitlam as Prime Minister. The reply from the Queen’s Private Secretary, Sir Martin Charteris, dated 17 November 1975, stated:
As we understand the situation here, the Australian Constitution firmly places the prerogative powers of the Crown in the hands of the Governor-General as the representative of the Queen of Australia. The only person competent to commission an Australian Prime Minister is the Governor-General, and The Queen has no part in the decisions which the Governor-General must take in accordance with the Constitution. Her Majesty, as Queen of Australia, is watching events in Canberra with close interest and attention, but it would not be proper for her to intervene in person in matters which are so clearly placed within the jurisdiction of the Governor-General by the Constitution Act.[83]

As I said the Queen is a figure head, she has no real power. This has been the case for a long time.

If you ask me should we even have monarchy in the 21st century…No.

“If the vote is yes, for example, Scotland would not extricate itself as completely as the United States did.”

oh? why not? it would be it’s own sovereign nation. the global economy looks way different with open communication.

jpgsawyer,
I’m not going to continue beyond this point: the Governor General is the queen’s representative.
That means s/he stands in the place of the queen.
To represent the queen.
To suggest that in 1975 he did anything so momentous as to dismiss an entire government without thorough ongoing briefing with/approval from London, including most importantly the queen, is prima facie dubious at best.

I’m going with proper deluded. For one thing, Kerr was Australian, not British. For another, the Australian people seemed to agree with him when they returned the opposition with a massive majority shortly afterwards. Sounds like a good call to me on Kerr’s part. Or did Liz bribe the electorate as well?

1959? I don’t think so. It was the banner Henry VII used in battle and the dragon was subsequently used by all the Tudors. Its oldest recorded use was in 829. 1959 indeed!

1 Like

The Hanoverians were German, too. Being ruled by Saxe-Coberg und Gotha wasn’t a novel proposition.

St George and the Welsh Dragon. I like it!

1 Like

I’d they want to put something explicitly Welsh in the flag they should fit Cornwall in there too.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine the Scots would actually vote for independence. The remainder of the UK will play hard, and probably be ruthless, in the negotiations.

There’s no way the Scots will be given a say over the Pound, particularly as their banks have been bust twice in their history.

The idea of them getting BBC programmes in exchange for Scottish TV programmes is wishful thinking (Man U v Liverpool swapped for highlights of Ross County v Kilmarnock).

Staying part of the EU requires unanimous approval of all members. The remainder of the UK won’t put barriers up there, but other countries (Spain in particular in order to warn off Catalunia from independence) won’t buy Scotland retaining the special exceptions and opt-outs the UK currently enjoys.

As a country, Scotland would be like its football and rugby team.

1 Like

Besides, bring back the Bruces anyway - the Scots can proclaim Jack Bruce as king of the revived sovereign kingdom. (Dunno if he’s in the royal line or not, but who really cares? It’s not like the damned English haven’t monkeyed about with the Scottish throne when they beheaded Charles I during the Civil War and chased James VII out in the so-called “Glorious Revolution”…)

Let the Irish have their harp: the Scots can place a bass guitar in the paws of the lion rampant on the Royal Standard of Scotland, and how cool is that?

I suspect the irony of such a flag would be lost on many.

1 Like

Now you’ll tell me the place at one point was invaded, conquered and re-populated by German tribes called Angles and Saxons. What a load of nonsense!

1 Like

“Such an arrangement might even interest the Irish Republic”, you say? Dream on.

1 Like

That rings kinda scottish to me…

But I agree with scav: what about the Welsh dragon? Did I make that clear? DRAGON!

http://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/