With Scottish independence in the offing, what would happen to the British flag?

Maybe we should take out the “united”, while we’re at it.

1 Like

next 3 heirs are all men.

having said that the current queen will probably plough on for another 20 years out of sheer stubbornness

1 Like

Politics aside, from a purely aesthetic view, the Union Jack as it is is a really awesome flag. And every single alternate flag that’s suggested in that article is just butt-ugly.

I suspect and also hope that it’ll stay the same. Unless some brilliant graphic designer comes along and creates the perfect most incredible flag design ever. But judging from the examples already put forward, I don’t think that’s very likely.

4 Likes

That will depend on the eventual terms agreed when implementing independence (in treaties, acts and such). Changing the status of these lands would be seen as a complete and utter humiliation though, so I would expect they will be granted special status. Unless Charles is king at the time, in which case they’ll probably be expropriated outright, because he’s unpopular like that.

1 Like

But my idea has more Freddie Mercury.

2 Likes

Personally I think it would be a shame to see a split. I can understand the point of view, Scotland does, after all, have it’s own unique identity, language & customs. However that being said the UK is a very diverse place for such a small island, the local accents change every 20 miles of so.

I personally have Scottish blood, my great grandfather was a red haired, professional soldier. One of those small cogs in the Empire.

The clincher will be money, the Scots are notoriously tight with money. Wait till they learn how much independence will cost :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There’s no reason to take the blue out of the union flag after Scottish independence, because (a) it’s the wrong blue anyway – the blue of the Scottish saltire is lighter; and (b) the flag’s just an arbitrary traditional symbol, and the rump of the UK will be about nothing if not arbitrary tradition and symbolism.

It’s not like they ever put any part of the Welsh flag in it, even though that has a fucking dragon. I mean, why would you leave that out? Some people have no taste at all.

9 Likes

The major difference is that Canada was never an independent country before it was entangled with the UK. It never had a monarchy separate from the UK monarchy.

Scotland, on the other hand, has a long history of an independent monarchy, separate from that of England. It wasn’t until James VI of Scotland succeeded Elizabeth on the English throne in 1603 that the same person was monarch of both Scotland and England. Even so, Scotland and England were separate kingdoms until the 1706 Treaty of Union.

Even today the Queen is known as “Elizabeth II” in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the rest of the commonwealth and “Elizabeth I” in Scotland (especially by Scottish Nationalists).

2 Likes

Elizabeth, not Elizabeth I, surely?

You don’t add numerals until there’s at least 2, IIRC.

2 Likes

The picture doesn’t combine the flags as desired. If you want to substitute St.David’s Cross (for Wales) for St.Andrews Cross (for Scotland, assuming Scottish independence), you’d have the black field with a wide gold cross on it (St. David’s), and on top of that a wide red X outlined in white (St. Patrick’s), and on top of that a narrower red cross outlined in white. The yellow would be somewhat minimized, as all the white would be on top of it.

The Union Jack is not the flag of the Crown. The Queen already has different flags as Queen of the United Kingdom for use in and out of Scotland.

1 Like

… which nobody is really familiar with, and so they carry much less weight than the mainstream one for the Kingdom. I’d be willing to bet big money that the flag won’t change, regardless of Scottish independence.

Or until you want to aggressively make a point.

2 Likes

Ah, but of Northern Ireland is part of the UK and has a legitimate claim to the Cross of St. Patrick.

Oh, come on. We all know what the flag should look like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Us_flag_large_51_stars.png

Just put a like crown over one of those stars and you are good to go.

5 Likes

Random XVIII century Welsh flag-weaver, muttering: “wtf, why do i have to do this f’ing dragon, it’s not like we ever saw one, right? f*ing nostalgic idiots… I can make dozens of English flags in a day and make huge bank, but our f’ing one takes weeks and then when I tell people how much it costs, they think I’m having a laugh! No wonder nobody has one, right? F’ing idiots, our landlords, hey?”

1 Like

As others have correctly noted, I was thinking more of the historical perspective (in which sense, one could rightly prefer to say that the Kings of Scotland also happen to be the Kings of England, rather than the reverse).

But yes, I believe you are correct that the monarchies of the Commonwealth states are legally equivalent (as personal unions) to the case of England and Scotland, but for the 1707 Act of Union.

1 Like

That’s true, but I think this would show the background and cross of each flag in a relatively equal way that retains as much of the feeling of the original as possible. I agree with @dagfooyo though, there’s probably no way to preserve the elegance of the original flag without the flag of St. Andrew.

1 Like

Lol 'Merica would love that. They’d have history

Yeah, but now there’s no real economic cost to having an awesome flag.

For that matter, why are we still stuck with lame 2D flags? Why can’t the flag of the UK be 3D with a big animated hologram of a lion fucking a dragon? Consensually of course - not a comment on English/Welsh history or anything.

2 Likes