Woman adds vaginal yeast to sourdough starter, Internet flips out

I’m derailing this thread like a champ :smile:

Just pretend you are either northern English or southern Scottish, and drop every other consonant in sort of a random fashion. Or just add some. Then you’ll say it right.

Cases in point.

• Hawick
  • Carlisle
  • Dunstanburgh
  • Alnwick

Gah that last one makes me pull my hair out. There is a fucking L and a W!!!

5 Likes

What do you call a wholesome turkey with duck shoved up it’s ass and a littler chicken up the ass of the duck?

##Culinary Marxism.

7 Likes

My favourite is Burgh-by-Sands.

Hardly anyone gets that shibboleth right without having been local at some point

There’s also Aspatria - the first and last A are silent if you are local.

Let’s not even talk about attracting boys to the yard with certain milkshake beverages.

3 Likes

Total stab in the dark.

• Burbuhsin
  • SPA-tri

Am I even close?

Bruff by Sands (or just Bruff) and SPAT-ree

I’m always surprised that so many people can’t get Burgh by Sands right. It’s where Edward I of England died.

Close on the second one, missed the first by a mile.

My favorite sign on the islands was in Wales. It said, “ENGLISH INVADERS GO THAT WAY —>”

1 Like

Sedbergh. Pronounced sayvr, with a short vowel.

At one time locals pronounced Sawbridgeworth sarchwth, but I don’t know if they still do (not visited in over 50 years).

That really brightens my day. One last derail before a lunchtime, holiday pint.

The first time I was in Scotland I promised to call my mother. So I did, and I told her I was in a town called “Hay-wick”. After the short and expensive phone call, a very Dapper older gentleman approached me and said something to the effect of:

" You seem to be a nice young lad, not from around here. The locals pronounce it Hoyk, not Hay-wick. Have a lovely afternoon!"

I was absolutely charmed. Then a few hours later me, my wife, and a friend went to the Queens Head and played Rolling Stones covers all night.

And after that we drunkenly had a Kebab, which was a major mistake.

6 Likes

Here, take these:

1 Like

No, see, those aren’t actually families… I mean, @frauenfelder and @doctorow actually treat their daughters with respect and allow them to do things that aren’t baking and playing with dolls. So, they’re doing it wrong, ya see! /s

12 Likes

Damn right, it’s better than yours! :wink:

4 Likes

Hay!! Baking is fun for kids of all ages!!

7 Likes

Did you ever go to Kirkcudbright?

No, I have always taken the road North from Dumfries. But now that you mention I’ve got to get my ass to the Hough of Urr–what kind of name is that!?

OK, gave this one 24 hours leave without notice.

No.

That’s the easiest one: It’s Willammit, dammit.

(ninja’d the missing extra “m”)

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct.

Will-uh-Met-Eee always sticks in my craw.

2 Likes

Even though I’m a vagina-haver, this is still grossing me out, and the reasons why are:

1. It breaks, however slightly, the taboos about cannibalism. Yeah, yeah, dead skin cells get into bread when you knead it, but this crosses the line between inadvertent and intent.
  2. Yeast + vagina = yeast infection. Yeah, yeah, normally there’s always some yeast in that area, but that’s the association.
  3. Vaginas are close to the urethra, which raises the possibility of urine, however miniscule an amount, getting mixed in, which breaks another taboo. Yeah, yeah, urine is sterile and it’s all getting baked anyhow and the yeast and anything else alive in the dough will get killed off in the oven, but still.
  4. And yes, everything above may get ingested anyhow during sex without raising any taboos, but that’s because sex is sex, while food is food.

So basically, while I acknowledge the microbiological truth, I just don’t think this is about microbiological truth. It’s about taboos, and the context.

If I ever try making sourdough, I’ll just be using what comes from the air. I know some of what’s in the air came from me, but it’ll be the air’s by the time it winds up in the starter.

2 Likes

Some taboos (most if not all) are pretty laughable.
Humans are comical creatures.

3 Likes