Woman finds intruder asleep on her sofa, 911 operator suggests waking him

The cops thought it would likely put them in danger or they wouldn’t have sent so many officers to deal with the intruder. So any way you slice it, the police advised two women to do something they thought was too dangerous for two armed officers to handle without additional backup.

That’s a shitty thing to do and trying to reframe the situation as “hey, it was just a suggestion” doesn’t help.

10 Likes

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and I will consider them.

That’s true but sadly she’s passed so he’s got to pick up the slack.

1 Like

WTF are you talking about? It was a stranger in their house! Are you paying any attention whatsoever to the amount of violence women are subjected to on a fucking REGULAR basis in this society? From people we know, from acquaintances, from strangers… I have ZERO friends who are women who have not at one time or another in their lives faced some sort of fucking threat, most often from men they know, but also from men they do not know. It is ABSOLUTELY a common sense approach to be concerned and afraid about a person who you do not know in your house, and especially if you are a woman.

21 Likes

You Got Me GIF by HULU

7 Likes

It would freak me the fuck out and I would expect violence, as statistically that’s what happens.

17 Likes

It’s a request from someone in a position of authority, which is very different than a friend casually offering ideas.

Do you not have law enforcement officials in your culture?

14 Likes

I never really thought of 911 operators as having authority, but when you put it that way it does change things. Thanks for the perspective!

Woman: Hello, 911? There’s a grizzly bear in my kitchen!

Operator: Would you mind punching it in the face?

Woman: What the hell? Of course I would mind! Why would you even suggest such a reckless thing? Is that what your officers would do if they were here?

Operator: Of course not. That’s the kind of situation that would take at least four armed officers to handle.

Woman: Then why in the name of all that is good and holy would you advise me to do that?

Operator: Hey, I never said I expected you to do it. I’m just asking questions here.

13 Likes

That was very helpful in communicating how you view the situation. Thank you, I’ll think about it.

I am extremely curious to know what the police were so busy doing, that dealing with a home invasion fell so low on their list of priorities. :roll_eyes:
ACAB.

10 Likes

Sure - because they were already in danger.

11 Likes

From another article. What a compassionate person.

Chalmers (the victim) said they didn’t press charges as there was no damage to the home and nothing was stolen, adding she thinks the man needs help more than anything else and charges would not make his situation any better.

9 Likes

Interesting . There was a situation just like this in Manitoba a few days ago. Three families in a large cabin, bear got in the kitchen. RCMP couldn’t come, suggested animal control; they were busy. Bear left on her own, after a little scolding.

1 Like

Having had the terrifying experience of waking up to find a stranger rummaging around in my bedroom, I have to say I would not ever be receptive to the bizarre suggestion that was made to these women. Nobody was hurt in my incident, the police were super quick getting there, and my partner managed to scare the crap out of the burglar, who was an unarmed teenager who’d apparently decided to step up his game from breaking into cars. But it all could have gone so wrong if the circumstances had been a little different.

13 Likes

I am so confused. Was it Minnesota or somewhere in Canada? Sure, the accent is a bit blurry, but there is no RCMP in Minnesota.

4 Likes

Shit, that must’ve been terrifying! Glad you got out unharmed (physically, at least).

The advice of the 911 dispatcher is crazy, IMO. If anything, maybe advise the women to exit the house until police could arrive, or at the very least, advise them to “neutralize” the intruder by binding his ankles or something (though that’s also dangerous). But to encourage them to wake him up? Then what? Offer him some orange juice?
So messed up.

12 Likes

Ah, I was referring to a bear in Northern Manitoba, not the intruder in Winnipeg. My fault, sloppy phrasing. Two incidents, same outcome :wink:

3 Likes

It makes a lot more sense now. There are bears in much of Minnesota, but not so much Mounties unless they’re very lost. Or on reruns of Bullwinkle. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

The good old Shawinigan Handshake!

And I must say I’m pretty stoked that I remembered the nickname of Cretien’s special move, spelt it correctly (but still had to look it up to be sure), found the picture I squirrelled away in some folder on my NAS (thank you Everything!), remembered to attach it here before saving and then having to do an edit to add it. It’s so groovy when all this tech works!

cretien-grabbing-protester-by-throat

4 Likes