Cop yelling at woman through her apartment door has a surprise in store for her

Originally published at: Cop yelling at woman through her apartment door has a surprise in store for her | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Slow day… maybe we can go intimidate some renters.

19 Likes

Kind of shocking that a member of multiple vulnerable populations who are routinely harassed and assaulted by the police doesn’t feel comfortable when they aggressively confront them about non police matters.

/s

Defund. Everywhere.

25 Likes

Who are they “serving and protecting” if not the landlords?

25 Likes

Seriously though; why the fuck were the cops even there in the first place?

To warn the tenant that if she damages the owner’s property she’ll “go to jail?” prior to any actual crime?

WTF is that?

37 Likes

Damn, so A (Canadian) CAB too? I am sad…

20 Likes

I figured that because it was in Canada and everyone involved was White are the only reasons this altercation didn’t end violently.

24 Likes

We are missing some context, the renter obviously knows why they are there. But I can’t believe the context would justify the cops for potentially escalating the problem. Feels like alpha cop is looking for a fight.

6 Likes

Unless a crime was actually committed which merited police involvement, no, I am not.

17 Likes

From what she says about “a file” it sounds like the landlord or the super are regularly calling the cops on her for spurious reasons. They want to do non-emergency work on the unit (probably as a prelude to raising her rent or evicting her) and on the basis of her tenant rights – with which she’s obviously familiar – she refuses to let them in.

So I doubt you’ll be surprised to hear that this is basically a landlord using the police to harass and intimidate a tenant. The landlord certainly got the right thug for the job in this case.

34 Likes

Disgusting display of ACAB as I’ve ever seen, today.

22 Likes

If you damage any property, you will be arrested!”
Had me wishing I could reply, “if you stop beating your wife, maybe they’ll go easy on you.”
Like, WTF? She hasn’t even committed a crime.
It’s so fucking stupid and intimidating. Good on her for calling him the bully he is. Brave.

24 Likes

It’s common for cops to speak to both parties during a disturbance call. What is different here is the cop taking the side of the landlord and wantingly escalating the problem.

3 Likes

Again, I am not in need of “more context.”

My eyesight and my perspective are 20/20.

19 Likes

I want to warn you that if you murder the President of Uruguay, I will arrest you.

Officer, this is a Wendy’s.

35 Likes

You can tell it’s Canada because the cop didn’t just shoot her.

5 Likes

Yeah. About the time some asshole menacing me through my door yells at me “you won’t listen and you’re acting unreasonably,” is when I wish I had one of those dart taser things. Asshole.

15 Likes

Reminds me - I need to upgrade my door chain. Or some such security item.

16 Likes

Shit. All my exterior doors have windows in them. We’re screwed. Well, we have a bunch of ground floor windows, too, so if someone wants to get it, they’re getting in.
Which is, oddly, how I remind myself that in general, us humans are nice and don’t go around wreaking havoc. If that were the state of affairs, we’d all live in fortresses.

17 Likes

I don’t rely on the kindness of strangers. But we’re in different neighborhoods.

15 Likes