Cop yelling at woman through her apartment door has a surprise in store for her

Do cops get some kind of kick back for these sort of things? I’d be like, “Why are we acting like a mob enforcer? WTF do I care about a random landlords issues?”

I assume there is some legal reason they come and make a statement when called. But doing so with such energy leads me to believe they just like bullying people. The lunge confirms it. :confused:

2 Likes

Uh, yeah we do. I was curious, and it looks like you have a few hundred thousand more people in the 141 square mile city than we have in the entire 35,000+ square mile state.
Not saying it’s the same everywhere, but in the US it seems if you have enough room to spread out, you can safely have more windows on the ground floor. Generally speaking.

4 Likes

Please don’t “protect” and “serve” me, officer.

2 Likes

Hamilton “Mountain”, that always cracks me up, especially after going up it on my scooter.

2 Likes

Eastern European building contractors are my recommendation.

10 Likes

“Clearly you’re unreasonable and you don’t listen”

…says the cop who was being unreasonable and not listening.

4 Likes

Damn. Is that made out of an alloy of adamantium and mithril?

Out of my price range.

9 Likes

For reasons I don’t know (if anyone does know, please tell me), all the front doors I saw in Spain were built like bank vaults, with multiple bolts on each side.

4 Likes

Sounds like you need a police lock which, despite (because of?) the name, is great for keeping you safe from the police.

6 Likes

Several years back I stayed in a hotel in Prague that had the most secure room doors I’ve ever seen. They were reinforced and had deadbolts that locked the door from multiple points on all the edges like a bank vault door. I’m guessing it was a requirement to be able to host government officials/foreign dignitaries–either that or hold back a zombie horde.

3 Likes

If those cops were counting on the element of surprise as part of the raid they must have been very disappointed.

4 Likes

Do they do “family flats” like eastern Europe, with separate apartments behind the main door? That must be a pain, to try and breach two or three doors in one bust.

2 Likes

When I lived in Ukraine, I had an apartment with a sturdy metal door. Some local “hooligans” tried to break in. (Everyone in the neighborhood knew I was a foreigner.) They bent a little of the frame and dented the door damaged the paint job, but otherwise it held like a champ.

My landlords told me they’d understand if I wanted to move out and wouldn’t charge me for breaking the lease. I told them I’d stay if the door did.

I didn’t have any other problems with attempted breaking or harassment during my stay.

6 Likes

Yes (and here in the USA as well). I’ve never heard the term “family flat” before.

3 Likes

Probably an aftermarket door. They have reinforced frames and lugs slide into it at multiple points, vs basically a single point of a dead bolt.

Definitely worth the investment if you live in Romania.

If you have a wood frame, install a Bolt Buddy to prevent it from splitting during a kick-in attack and if the door’s also wood, use a wraparound plate at the deadbolt. Your deadbolt should be an ANSI Grade 1 model so it doesn’t fail like cheap ones do.
I wouldn’t open the door with a chain or any other device if you don’t want the person on the other side to possibly try to come in.
I got permission from my strata to replace my fiberglass door and wood frame with an embossed steel door that looks like the old door and pressed steel frame. It now has a mortise lock with deadbolt and security trim to protect the cylinder. Most folks won’t want to spend the money involved but we’re now set for physical security, plus it increased the fire rating of the opening from 20 minutes to 45 minutes.

8 Likes

She gets a B+ For the following:

video & audio recording police encounter
answering the door when police knock if you didn’t call them
employing a physical barrier to prevent police from opening/jamming their foot in the door
volunteering any information, esp. when not asked
uncooperative with thuggish behavior
reasonably polite
taunting when you are out of reach (warning: police are dangerous wild animals that can kill from a distance)

Best alternative scenarios:

1. Don’t answer the door,unless they have a warrant. If they have a warrant, be sure they show it to you and it has the correct address before you let them in,
  2. Do not speak, except to identify oneself (only if required by law)
  3. End encounter ASAP (“Am I free to go?”)
3 Likes

My own invention, after seeing who typically lived behind the main door when I was staying in Romania, Moldova, and Ukraine. Some folks do rent out their flats, with unrelated individuals occupying each apartment, as I did.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but she sounds like she could be transgender, which would add a whole layer of horrifying malevolence to this cop’s unhinged behavior.

Canada.

5 Likes