California police detain Bob Marley's granddaughter for staying at an AirBnB while Black

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/10/donisha-airbnb-while-black.html

4 Likes

#ThisIsAmerica

41 Likes

If you see anything, say anything.

15 Likes

Christ, you’d think the person who called the cops would know about an AirBnB in the neighborhood. How long had it been on the rental market. Lots of different folks coming and going… smh.

18 Likes

The owner of the AirBnB property has said that it was her guests’ fault for not waving back at the neighbour who reported the “burglary”. Seriously.

24 Likes

Remind me how many tax dollars just got set on fire with what shouldn’t have even involved a single officer? A helicopter? Seriously? How slow a day was it for the department?

31 Likes

The times I’ve been burgled, it was about 90 minutes before the cop came to take my statement and assure me that nothing would be done. This neighborhood clearly has a different kind of police response than anyplace I’ve ever been ripped off.

26 Likes

13 Likes

tumblr_p852zfHaxj1rodbqco1_500

10 Likes

“If the kids had simply smiled at [my neighbor] and waved back and acknowledged her and said, ‘We’re just Airbnb guests checking out,’ none of this would have ever happened,” she said. “But instead, they were rude, unkind, not polite.”

Remember not white people, you must always be polite, smile, and preemptively explain the reason for your presence in apartheid areas to any white people you encounter. It will be very helpful in these instances if you carry all relevant paperwork in your hands-- so that you will not have to reach into your pockets. However, make sure your papers do not look like a gun or appear threatening in any way.

66 Likes

Cops love hunting PoC. They come out in droves like it’s a party.

17 Likes

I watched the video. Can I say, what a fucking nasty bitch? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

“Be polite to everyone if you don’t want to get beat up or arrested” is the heartbreaking advice that african american families have had to tell their children for years - as a rental policy it is absurd.

10 Likes

Thought the same thing… One patrol car should have been enough to resolve the issue in less than 10 minutes.
And props to the three for well, at least trying to stay positive here.

3 Likes

Assuming you can get a rental at all…this story is just one example of why that might not happen:

https://www.innclusive.com/our-story

5 Likes

And this could have been a much different post, a post where we are invited to make fun of a hysterical, entitled woman calling 911 because people were rude to her.
Caller: OMG, they didn’t wave.
Competent 911 Operator: Ma’am, just what is your emergency?
Caller: This is a nice neighborhood. I need the police here now!
911: Ma’am, can we just leave this now or shall I send the cops to speak with you?

4 Likes

The police said they didn’t know what AirBnB is?

BULLSHIT!!! That many cops and no one knew what AirBnB was? How much contempt do you have to have for someone to try to pull that shit.

20 Likes

“If the kids had simply smiled at (my neighbor) and waved back and acknowledged her and said, ‘We’re just Airbnb guests checking out,’ none of this would have ever happened,” she said. “But instead, they were rude, unkind, not polite.”

Wow. Maybe she should have left a list of safe words and recognition signals?

“Somebody who’s part of neighborhood watch was vigilant, and they reported something that they felt was out of the ordinary. They saw something, they reported something, and the person reporting it is now receiving threats. And our department is receiving, across social media platforms, including the media, ridicule, and, frankly, it’s not fair,” said the police chief.

Group hug for the poor viddle police chief!

11 Likes

Also, here’s the NRA to promote guns that look like cell phones, so make sure you don’t have a cell phone in your hand. Or in your pocket. Or anywhere…
Next week’s headlines: Black renter asked to call landlord to prove they rent, shot dead when they use a cell phone.

5 Likes

And if the landlord had told her neighbours that she was AirBnB renting none of this would have happened as well.

15 Likes