California police detain Bob Marley's granddaughter for staying at an AirBnB while Black

A relevant thread:

16 Likes

Maybe she did, and the neighbor still slotted them into the burglar category “because they didn’t wave black back”?

9 Likes

giphy%20(4)

9 Likes

No Woman No Stay. No WOMAN NO STAY.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Why is it relevant to the story that she’s Bob Marley’s granddaughter? Any other person, not related to a music superstar, is similarly entitled to civilized treatment by the police.

Tangentially relevant: that story would have been less likely to hit the news if a celebrity’s relative hadn’t been involved.

2 Likes

Possibly not in this case; it went viral well before anyone knew of the Marley connection.

3 Likes

What a stupid neighbor. In reality it is the especially nice and charming people you should be suspicious of!

Anyone who has ever been hustled can tell you that.

6 Likes

I saw the Sheriff,
For not wavin’ to the white lady,
I saw the Sheriff,
For not wavin’ to the white lady,

All around this new town,
They’re trying to track me down,
They say they want to bring me in guilty,
For no waving to the lady,
When staying in AirBnB,
but I say…

17 Likes

Yeah, but if all the previous people were white, I mean, you can’t tell white people apart, so they might not have noticed.

Owner of AirBnB is as racist as the people living near the AirBnB. Now there’s a shock.

For me that’s a mental trigger to remind myself that I’m unlikely to hear about similar stories that involve people not tangentially connected to fame. For every story like this that rises to the national attention there are many, many more that go unnoticed.

10 Likes

Welcome to AirBabylon. We hope that we enjoy your stay.

4 Likes

Maybe, maybe not.

For several years we had a family friend do housecleaning at our place once a week. Once a week. Same bat time, same bat channel. Yet our neighbor across the street called the cops a couple times. It had nothing to do with race. Some people are just … let’s be polite and say “overly cautious.”

1 Like

They just were inconvenienced for 45 min. What’s the big deal? /s

Paging Mr. Rickman…

6 Likes

From other articles I’ve read, it was reported that this was A) an unlicensed Air BnB and B) the first time it had been rented.

If those two “facts” are true, it changes the situation a bit, in my opinion. It means the neighbor wasn’t used to strangers (of any race) loading and unloading things from the house.

How fortunate that your perspective from a position of privilege is so easily swayed.

From mine, those details still don’t make much difference;

The neighbor who called the police still made an assumption based on unfair racial bias, and the woman who rented her property still reinforced that unfair racial bias by victim blaming her guests.

15 Likes

then the neighbors, AirBnB owner, and cops are racists.

11 Likes