Woman judge discovers that female arrestees are frequently denied pants, feminine hygiene products

USAUSAUSA

Tag missing. Please fix.

2 Likes

There aren’t?

Many states, including the one I live in, have a “luxury” tax added on for non-essential goods.

14 Likes

You know that whole body-swapping thing being discussed in another thread? This would be an excellent indication for it.

4 Likes

wrong != disappointing. And I try (and fail often enough) to look at the process steps left and right of me and see it as part of my responsibility (IT in a healthcare provider, not the legal system)

Maybe @Stynx meant something like this? The VAT system is weird, and I think this is true all over the world. Here in Germany lobster is taxed lower than toothpaste.

4 Likes

or, the judge made reasonable assumptions based on standards of human decency. If asked, I too would have guessed that women in jail didn’t have to sit around for days without pants, showers, and hygiene products, and I wasn’t lied to, am not lying, and I do give a fuck about the system.

11 Likes

WORD.

In fact, I’ve often wished the whole world had to go ‘Freaky Friday’ for a short amount of time; being forced to literally walk in the shoes of whomever they see as Other.

14 Likes

I’ve walked—made every effort to walk, anyway—in high heels. Fuck. those. things.

Seriously, between painfully bleeding in the most inconvenient area of one’s body for 4-5 days every month, dealing with a bunch of back-breaking deadweight on your chest, the risk of unwanted pregnancy, lecherous glances on a daily basis, and sexism built into your native fucking language, the whole ‘multiple orgasms’ thing starts looking like pretty lean compensation for having to put up with a lifetime of that bullshit.

17 Likes

Feel my pain.

*lolz

Yeah, we know.

Especially since it’s not necessarily universal to all women, all the time.

18 Likes

I’m all for an exception, but that’s just the ordinary sales tax. It’s not a “tampon tax” any more than it’s an “extension cord tax”

ETA: There are lots of places where “necessary goods” are exempt from sales tax – food, medicine in some places, etc. – I am for adding feminine hygiene stuff to that list, but nothing is singled out for special taxation.

1 Like

Give it a name, the unfairness of it is all the same; they are still taxed as non-essential items, and that’s some bullshit.

Let women stop using them all together, and see how essential it becomes, post-haste.

14 Likes

We are in violent agreement here.

4 Likes

I’m quite calm, cool & collected, actually.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then let us just agree to agree and go our separate ways.

2 Likes

Tampons are quite non-essential. Just ask any man. I myself never use them at all, and feel no worse off.

10 Likes

So you’re okay with menses residue from various women being all over the place?

Duly noted.

14 Likes

Looking for the Ewwwwwwww button and hit like instead. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

*lolz

Be thankful I ‘pulled my punch’ at the last moment; there’s so much worse imagery that I could have posted.

:wink:

11 Likes

IANAL but as far as I know as long as there are not mandatory minimums the judge has carte blanche to do whatever they want. If it goes to far in one way or another it can open up reason for appeal but thats for another court.

A judge SHOULD know wtf is going on inside her jail. That does not sound unreasonable by any stretch. The fact that she tried to “comfort” the inmate by saying this is not normal, then being corrected by the inmate, kinda tells it all.

5 Likes

Do you mean “should” as in you would expect it in a perfect world, or “should” as in you’re knowledgeable about how courtrooms and jails actually interact, and believe this judge was exhibiting unusual cluelessness by being unaware of the state of the jail?

I remain dubious and am going to look for further info…

2 Likes