Woman lived in grocery store's roof sign for a year

We still don’t know how she did. Apparently, the shop staff still do not know how she got up and down there every day.

There was no sign of a ladder. Warren said it’s possible the woman made her way to the roof by climbing up elsewhere behind the store or other retail businesses.

“I honestly don’t know how she was getting up there. She didn’t indicate, either,”

There’s a bit more detail in this story:

and @jnophoto
Hi-vis outerwear is always helpful in such situations.

1 Like

I’m thinking about monthly mortgage payments and high property/municipal taxes in areas within an hour of most cities. Combine that with low starting wages for most careers, and housing is still out of reach for too many workers. We need more affordable housing and wages in line with the true cost of living.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested this is the back of the store.

Doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to get up there using any one of these structures.

I also don’t see any cameras back there.

Midland, Michigan

2 Likes

There is a lot more overlap of employed and homeless than most people realize.

8 Likes

I didn’t realize the poster photo was AI - I didn’t expect such a mundane image to be fake. I didn’t even occur to me to check the attribution in spite of BB using AI images extensively for stories. I think in this case the image is highly misleading and was inappropriate to use.

4 Likes

Yeah, the AI images really screw with the reading of certain stories - it really struck me in particular with stories about artists, where AI imagery that has absolutely nothing to do with their work is used. That not only causes confusion for everyone who reads the post, but has the additional impact of associating the fake images with the artist in search engines, contaminating search results for them. :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Part of the problem is the tradition of websites using stock images of a related scene, such as a different Family Fare store, which I think can also be misleading unless properly captioned as something like “Stock photo of a random grocery store” or some such.

I think BB should explicitly label generative AI images as “fictional computer generated image” or something. Just naming the AI generator isn’t enough. I don’t know the name of every AI image generator.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.