Woman shocked when her DNA test reveals biological father isn't her father, but her parents' fertility doctor

You should send that to Penthouse letters as the shortest/most realistic story they ever had. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree. This wasn’t fraud, it was rape.

4 Likes

Most boring too: I also did not stick around for “the finale…” and I guess ‘the silver lining’ is that I learned to knock before entering any closed room in anyone else’s house, no matter what time of day.

3 Likes

Yep. Cecil Jacobson is the one I thought of, but more recently there’s also Donald Cline, and I just learned of the prodigious Bertold Weisner.

He’ll tell you he’s the king of these Barrio streets
Moving up to Shangri La
Came by his wealth as a matter of luck
Says he never broke no law
Two time loser running out of juice
Time to move out quick
Heard a rumor going round
Jimmy’s going down
This time it’s gonna stick

He’s the one they call Dr. Feelgood
He’s the one that makes ya feel alright
He’s the one they call Dr. Feelgood
He’s gonna be your Frankenstein

My juvenile attempt at “humor” aside, this sucks horribly for their whole family. It has to be a mindf*ck to know that if their doctor hadn’t been a filthy excuse for a human being, their daughter wouldn’t exist.

I wonder if they’ll look into any other past clients he… assisted?

1 Like

Now that we have a teen who stays up until 1am and sleeps 'til noon, Sunday morning is PRIME Time!

10 Likes

So all of what you say makes sense.

Then you inject that fact that a doctor who used his own sperm to impregnate his patients decided to send his DNA to ancestry where it could be found by “his” children.

And it makes a whole lot less sense.

10 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there are more matches for this particular doctor.

3 Likes

I could see it either in the ‘need medical data here’ sense or the ‘thanks a lot for sticking me with existence; is that some kind of joke?’ sense; but the hybrid ‘zOMG my incorrect assumptions about DNA sourcing have unmoored me’ sense has never been one I can understand.

Useful to know if you have a specific human condition; and oppressive to know that you have the general human condition; but mixing the two is strange business(though, admittedly, popular).

1 Like

It certainly isn’t a smart move; but it wouldn’t be entirely surprising if a doctor whose training likely preceeded things like ‘genetic counseling’ being a big thing(to have been practicing in the 80s); and who apparently took a…crudely practical…approach to fertility medicine might not be the brightest bulb in the rocketship when it comes to “impressive bioinfomatic inferences that are actually practical today”.

3 Likes

Learning that your very existence was only made possible by some perv sticking his sperm in your mother’s vagina without her permission has got to be a disturbing revelation for anyone.

9 Likes

According to this, one of several cases…

4 Likes

My thought was that they should have given her an explanation about what kind of person her biological father was, before she found out who he was to her (and to her parents) on her own.

They literally didn’t know:

In artificial insemination it used to be common practice to mix an infertile husband’s sperm with a donor’s just to preserve the hope that maybe hubby’s swimmers were the ones that got the job done after all.

7 Likes

I’m confused. The report I read said that her mother recognized the doctor’s name on the DNA test results. Later the daughter confronted her parents after she found the same doctor’s name as the signer of her birth certificate. Based on that, they knew and decided not to tell her that they knew this man.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought you meant before they found out what the doctor had done.

Either way I can see why parents wouldn’t want to burden their child with that kind of knowledge. “Your existence was the result of a sexual violation” takes something that should be one of the purest things in the human experience—the love between a parent and child—and taints it with shame and humiliation.

3 Likes

Sociopathy knows no bounds.

2 Likes

thank you for answering. now i understand.

2 Likes

I get that it would be painful and traumatic, but this is a child who was already curious. There was nothing stopping her from getting a second test to confirm the first, or from reaching out to contact her biological father. Thank goodness it didn’t go that way, because he’s not a trustworthy person (to say the least). It was the fact that the parents let it go for months before she found even more information that really bugged me, because it seemed to be more about protecting themselves than her.

3 Likes

Probably they hoped she’d let it go or write it off as a mistake and they could go on with life as usual. Maybe it wasn’t the best approach in the end but it still feels like they were doing what they felt was the best for her well-being. I don’t think the parents were the bad guys in this story, not by a long shot.

3 Likes