Woman shocked when her DNA test reveals biological father isn't her father, but her parents' fertility doctor

Yeah, they were probably trying to cope with learning the mother was violated by the very doctor they turned to for help, and the immense betrayal of trust. Let alone explaining to their daughter how the entire situation happened.

4 Likes

I know someone who this happened to, and the official explanation for what was going on…

I’m giving her a back massage!

1 Like

Fuck you, Trump. Every time I see DNA now, I think NDA.

1 Like

Apparently it wasn’t the only one.

Wow… that’s truly fked up.
Either the Dr had some kind of complex that led him to believe that he was giving these people a great gift…his DNA or worse he was in the back room tossing one off thinking about his patients and what he was going to do to them.
It’s either hubris or rape take your pick.
By using his own sperm without consent I think quite a few juries would award the family a hefty payout.
Either way 18 years of back child support is going to take a chunk out of his retirement fund.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. It actually does make sense that the sort of person who would do this would also be the sort of person who would want those children to find out as adults. He might imagine having a relationship with some of them.

5 Likes

Not only that, I would imagine they were reeling from the the betrayal themselves. That test not only confirmed for them that the father she grew up with wasn’t her biological father, but that the mystery donor that they agreed to add to the mix didn’t exist. I’m sure that takes a bit to process, and even if they had managed to do it, how do you share that information with your child?

(eta) That’s what I get for replying in the moment. jyoti already covered my points in fewer words.

1 Like

While this is wildly unethical, and even frightening in some sense, and should be a crime if it is not, this has some weird, existential implications. This particular woman would, quite literally, not exist if he had not done such a thing. Another woman, with perhaps the same name, raised by the same family, would exist. The factual information, that she is a combination of her mother and her doctor’s DNA, changes nothing about the life she has led up to this point. If she had known, it might have changed her life trajectory in certain ways, but there is no way to know if it would have been for better or for worse. She exists, and she could have gone through her whole life not knowing, and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Would they be allowed to use the lock for other reasons?

3 Likes

Children conceived through rape have been forced to grapple with similar existential crises since time immemorial. The only difference here is that the woman’s mother didn’t learn of the violation until after the fact.

3 Likes

There was an X-files episode vaguely similar to this. I mean, I think it involved vestigial tails and the ability to shape shift, but apart from that, eh, close enough.

Yes, I considered that, but in this case conceiving a child was the desired outcome. It was so desired that the child having the father’s genetic material was secondary. They were deliberately misinformed of the source of the anonymous genetic materials, but they had a daughter whom they presumably loved and has lived a full life. They would have had a different daughter, or son. While they have a right to be upset about it, “mental anguish” seems a bit over the top.

Seriously?

2 Likes

"Yeah, take a good look kid - that’s how we made you!"

(I once knew a guy who claimed that this happened to him. I’ve met his parents. I believe him.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.