Woman speaking Shaetlan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/24/woman-speaking-shaetlan.html

7 Likes

Here’s the POTUS talking shit or having a seizure, or both.

giphy-2

2 Likes

In comment to her thoughts on dialect vs. language, my favorite quote about this is by linguist Max Weinreich: A language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

25 Likes

There’s an idiom she uses there around the 1 minute mark, talking about Edinburgh, “the chances of me [doing something] are brown and slick.” What a fine turn of phrase.

9 Likes

I just want to sit and listen to her talk for hours. It’s hypnotic.

12 Likes

That’s “The chances of me gaen hame (going home) were barly slicht (barely slight- so, quite unlikely).”

22 Likes

Beautiful dialect. A dialect of English, recognizably. Norn, also mentioned, is closer to the Scandinavian languages, having come down from Old Norse and the Vikings.

6 Likes

Nice accent. Perfectly comprehensible to me. But then I’ve lived in Scotland and the isles.

6 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense. Although I like the phrase I thought I heard!

4 Likes

It helps that she has such casually immaculate enunciation. I don’t speak my one language as clearly as she’s speaking two.

14 Likes

And if they have a flag, there is no stopping them;

9 Likes

It was nice knowing you. :fearful:

12 Likes

While the accent is interesting the audio quality itself is rather poor. It’s almost as if there is a reverb or echo an octave lower that I’m hearing. Tried it on two different pieces of equipment, so I’m not thinking it’s me.

I’m also not a fan of the mouth clicking stuff. That’s the main reason I hate most ASMR videos.

Also eggs and mist.

7 Likes

So soothing! I want her to read the BBC News.

2 Likes

And transparent adhesive tape.

10 Likes

I was going to say all of the above, but it occurred to me that by “English accents” you meant “accents of people speaking English”, rather than a misnomer for “British accents”. So you might get away with that, but you’re still going to get pushback on “Scotch”. :wink:

11 Likes

And certain folk from rural Ontario.

Galbraith tells us that when he was growing up, the people around him referred to themselves as Scotch.

4 Likes

Mmmmmm - shrooms.

1 Like

closely related to English

Surely it is English, albeit without so much of that filth French influence in it…

I’m reminded of:

A Yorkshireman landing on the north Kent coast in the late 1300s asked a farmer’s wife for some eggs . ’ I don’t speak French ,’ she told him, and shut the door.

2 Likes