Woman speaking Shaetlan

Have a little of Kevin McKidd (among other things, the voice of a few Scottish people in Brave) and Craig Ferguson having a chat with all their Scottish accents on display: https://youtu.be/XUuHUVQ8t2s

3 Likes

The language we’re all using here is. . . English. So it’s a Scottish accent of the English tongue.

I don’t speak American, I speak English with an American accent (one of many American accents.)

There is the argument that Scots is a completely separate Anglic (or Insular Germanic) language from English. AFAIK they are about as different as Danish and Norwegian.

On the other hand, one of the earliest surviving documents written in Scots refers to the language it is written in as “Inglis”.

7 Likes

I’m almost three minutes in, waiting for it to sound strange…

2 Likes

Jim Gaffigan is a time traveler!

1 Like

It didn’t help that you typed “Scotch” instead of “Scots”, but yeah, calling them English is a hanging offense, sir.

5 Likes

I’m glad it’s not just me - I felt it like some kind of FM modulation creeping in, it’s fuzzy and slightly warbly, just enough to kill my attention…

1 Like

[quote=“generic_name, post:15, topic:166134”]

And scouring pads made by 3M
And a water & stain repellent also made by 3M
And a particularly spicy variety of chili peppers

2 Likes

The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley

1 Like

It’s contextual. You feel differently about the soothing nature of the Scottish brogue when lying on the pavement outside of a Glaswegian pub having just swallowed your own teeth.

5 Likes

In distinction to “Scottis”, which at that time meant Gaelic.

6 Likes

uh_huh-yes

What a treasure!

I could listen to her read poetry all day :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If anyone wants to know more about Scots language (which Shaetlan seems to be an offshoot of), Atlas Obscura had a fascinating article about it.
How the English Failed to Stamp Out the Scots Language

2 Likes

Maybe you heard the Cockney Rhyming Slang version: Brown and Slick = Barely Slight. :sunglasses:

Some say an upper class well spoken Edinburgh accent is possibly the most refined and easily understood British accent of all.

Meh - try a vodka accent some time, comrade. :wink:

2 Likes

No. You speak American English. You do NOT speak British English with an American accent any more than you speak Indian English or Australian English with an American accent. But, British English (and yeah - ENGLISH English) is the only true English, it goes without saying.

(Ducks for cover while rapidly getting coat.)

4 Likes

And then I learned that the Shetland word for “snipe” is “horse cock”.

Hadaway and shite.

9 Likes

The speaker is Christine De Luca, author and Edinburgh Makar (a Scottish equivalent of “poet laureate”) from 2014 to 2017.

7 Likes