Woman speaking Shaetlan

Indeed. There’s English (no qualifier, just ‘English’) as spoken in England, and there are derivative varieties of it, including ‘American English’.

I hasten to add that that’s not a value judgement; I’m not saying ‘English’ is superior or inferior to ‘American English’, or ‘Nigerian English’, etc.
Personally, I wouldn’t speak of ‘British English’ and wouldn’t say that Americans speak English.

Scots goes further than this: it’s a language in its own right, similar to but distinct from English, like the relationship between Danish and Norwegian (as AlexG55) said :wink: ).

2 Likes

I used to speak a variation of this, and learnt some Geordie and Scots from close family.

3 Likes

I used to watch a UK detective TV series called Shetland. I loved to listen to their voices.

1 Like

There are certainly those who would say that Scots is its own language, not a dialect.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info (and welcome!)

Including the Scottish Government, the EU and UNESCO. The last UK census dodged the issue, but listed Scots alongside languages that are unambiguously considered languages.

3 Likes

Much like Catalan and Occitan, the people who speak it understand it as a distinct language, but some nationalists from neighboring, much larger, nations have a vested interest in calling it a dialect.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I feel like the relationship must be similar to Danish / Swedish / Norwegian, which are pretty much mutually intelligible spoken and very similar written. Written Scots is actually more different from English than the Scandinavian languages are to each other.

3 Likes

Man speaking Shatnarian:

2 Likes

My great-grandparents were originally from Shetland and Orkney and, according to my father, spoke much like this. Apparently, one of the islands we called home is now abandoned except for sheep.

1 Like

If this has sparked your interest in the Scottish isles, I recommend:

2 Likes

Disagree. English is a pluricentric language:

As that article says, forms of a pluricentric language can diverge until they become separate languages (e.g. Hindi and Urdu, both originally standardised registers of Hindustani).

Presumably that’s what happened to English and Scots, Early Scots being essentially identical to (northern) Middle English:

1 Like

91180992f64c40c0674cd9a0f3879492

3 Likes

You can claim that you speak English when you learn to say aluminium properly! :wink:
At least it’s nowhere near as bad as the attitude of the French, to people from Canada speaking French. Several of my French friends claim that they can barely understand Canadians, and found it embarrassing when they tried to have a conversation in French.

2 Likes

Replied to wrong poster :slight_smile:

I only got the first bit “Lang may yer lumm reek” because my grandmother used to say it. It means ‘may you live for a very long time’ or literally ‘may your chimney smoke for a very long time’ (because Scotland is so frigging wet and cold you’ll always have the fire going.) The rest of it? Nay idea.

2 Likes

I wanted to like your comment but all dialects of English are true English.

1 Like

Fun fact: “smoke” is the original sense of the word “reek”, now lost to English (or at least to English as she is spoke in the south of England). It acquired the (originally secondary) meaning of “stink” by analogy, the pong being imagined as rising from the smelly material in the manner of smoke or steam.

3 Likes

Cf. German ‘Rauch’

3 Likes