Woman sues cops because they destroyed her empty house, thinking a shoplifter was hiding in it

really? I hate to say it, but I’m a bit skeptical of that story. It seems to me that if they did enter that home, they had a warrant. And if they had a warrant there is something being left out of this story.

If they did enter without a warrant then your friend would have had a really good lawsuit.

Cops entered my mom’s house without a warrant, claiming probable cause based on the fact that her side gate was “open”, when it was actually just unlocked and her “backdoor” was open, which was actually a sliding glass door left open on a hot day.

They were looking for a friend of my brother’s. They searched around and questioned her, refusing to leave and one made fun of my brother for the rest of the “interview” when my mom mentioned he was gay to explain that he was certainly not sexually involved with the girl. They decided to “let it go” when they found an empty but obvious pot baggie. But they were obviously trying to frighten her.

They do that kind of thing all the time and rarely face any consequences for it.

14 Likes

I’m sure they had a warrant, but they searched the house and found nothing. There’s not much to the story beyond what i told, they came in guns drawn and with extreme force and left without an apology. It’s not that uncommon and coincidentally i have a similar story of this happening to a neighbor when i lived in Colorado, he had his house raided SWAT style (they blew up his door, and had guys running on the roof and jumping in windows) and all of that because a coworker that didn’t like him called in saying he was producing meth or something at his house. Instead of looking into it they just came in full force, they found nothing and also left without an apology. The upside to that story is that they didn’t break a woman’s arm and drag her out of the house naked

8 Likes

That didn’t help the mayor of Berwyn Height’s pooches. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/30/AR2008073003299.html?sid=ST2010091302597

2 Likes

My friend left them for exactly that reason. After a year of breaking up domestics and hassling single mothers like herself over TV licence court debts, she’d had enough.

5 Likes
  1. Well, they’re not just going to stand around taking all that backtalk from an empty house.

2. I am urging homeowners not to let their houses go out wearing hoodies.

3. Did you hear the audio? “Stop resisting! Stop resisting! Stop resisting!”

4. In Idaho, there’s no such thing as living in your own private Idaho.

6 Likes

What? They didn’t even slap him on the back and say, “You’ve just been SWATTED!!!”

A across the street from behind my house was raided by SWAT once, but I was told by dispatch that it was a training exercise. Now I wonder if that is what they call it when they find nothing.

4 Likes

You’re forgetting how easy it is for a shoplifter to end up with retroactive “assaulting an officer and other crimes” charges…

6 Likes

Swatting is all the rage these days!

Sounds likely, if they were to do a training exercise i presume they’d have a training location and not just some house in a neighborhood. At least i would hope so.

2 Likes

Sorry, but:

edit: To clarify, I am very much against ticket quotas and any type of policing that rely upon them, but to pretend that this isn’t a practice shared by pretty much every police department is ridiculous, as is the hyperbole in the quoted comment.

2 Likes

Are there some people who can’t control themselves on alchohol? Absolutely.

Does this mean we can conclude that everyone who drinks alcohol behaves worse, or that everyone who does behave worse while drunk wouldn’t do idiotic/hurtful/stupid things even in the absence of alcohol? Nope.

Not trying to say there’s no issue in your house, but statistics don’t work the way you seem to imply they do.

6 Likes

In military terms, and in this case mostly Vietnam, “search and destroy” meant inserting a force in an area quickly, with the sole intention of killing everyone on site and making the site useless to the enemy, at least for a while. There was no intention of taking and holding the area at all. After the area was cleared of personnel, if they found structures (tunnels or buildings) or things like ammunition and guns, they were destroyed. No attempt was made to capture any equipment, as your force was too small for this, and your means of getting out were limited. (usually a helicopter)

If the police thought the suspect was using the house occasionally, and was just not there at the time they were, tearing the house up to make it unlivable is a true “Search and Destroy” mission.

1 Like

Thank you for elaborating, even though I didn’t ask you.

Have a nice evening.

1 Like

No thanks

Alrighty; please just quit addressing me, then.

In case it isn’t clear, I’m not interested in conversing with you.

Thanks.

7 Likes

So what are you trying to say about cops, who, despite being excessively, dangerously and increasingly militarized, are not the military?

3 Likes

My brother for one. He also believed in most cases a warning was all that was necessary and got busted for not making enough arrests and treating people like human beings. Between his commander pressing him to conform and dealing with the same people making the same horrible mistakes over and over no matter if they are warned, fined, or arrested, he couldn’t take it anymore. Well, that and being hated in the community because of his uniform no matter how he treated others.

The bad cops ruin the job for police officers who are intelligent, compassionate, and want to help the community.

My other RCMP brother gets a high whenever he gets a chance to use the “toys” available to him, so I can understand why police in the US want to use their military gear. It is the thrill of being “real cops”, like the ones on TV. :rolling_eyes: It is much more fun to “win” against the criminals with overwhelming force then being puked on by drunks which happens much more frequently. Sigh.

You couldn’t pay me enough to join a police force. It is a crappy job and the only perks seem to be the ones the bad cops take.

9 Likes

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.