Woman sues cops because they destroyed her empty house, thinking a shoplifter was hiding in it

Do I assume black victim because police responded with ludicrously disproportionate violence?

Do I assume white victim because somehow her dog survived?

4 Likes

I believe that’s “Naked Gun shenanigans.”

1 Like

I knew that particular abomination was bound to turn up in this discussion sooner or later.

I’ll be in my bunk, with my typeface chaser.

8 Likes

How do the cops think they’re not liable for the damage they caused???

4 Likes

Experience?

20 Likes

responsibility is only in effect for mere humans?

4 Likes

That reminds me of a guy I used to work with who was in the office IT department. We were having lunch one day and he told me he’d briefly been a cop. He wanted to do detective work–he had studied criminology and sociology and knew it wasn’t as cool as TV makes it look but it still interested him.

They started him out as a bottom level patrol cop and, as he told me, his superiors made it clear he was too “intellectual” to have any hope of advancing. And his stats weren’t high enough because in most cases he thought a warning was enough.

I think that says a lot about how systemic the problems with police forces are.

23 Likes

Low hanging (and often rotten) fruit; intentionally selected.

That speaks volumes about the caste structure of our society.

6 Likes

Every time I see “alcohol may have been a factor”, I think of it as lazy and shoddy in many ways. It implies (but does not guarantee) that some test or observation might be able to support the idea that alcohol was being used by some participant in some event (accident, homicide, whatever), and – if so – then said alcohol might have increased the likelihood that the event occurred. But there’s no statistical analysis possible, since no one ever reports that “alcohol was definitively not a factor”, so no correlations can even begin to be deduced (nor do we ever get info on “alcohol was indeed being used in the following myriad situations where everything came out ok and everyone was happy”). In the end, the statement’s main function ends up being to simply villify alcohol/drug use, and to give comfort some people on the basis that the accident/homicide/whatever would never happen to them because they drink “responsibly”.

It’s approximately as lazy and useless as saying one’s “thoughts and prayers are with” whomever. A placator. It achieves nothing, while trying to give the appearance that somebody has put honest thought or action into play.

2 Likes

They had the keys!!!

7 Likes

Arrest and ticket quotas are illegal to the point of sedition. I hope your friend has a way to report that bullshit to someone who can actually make a difference.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the experience convinced him to drop out of the police force entirely. And I wonder how many other cases there are like his.

3 Likes

Alcohol is a factor in about 100% of the events IN MY HOUSE that involve people yelling and throwing things. Does anybody think it’s some kind of urban myth that alcohol contributes to behavior problems?

6 Likes

Gee, it’s almost as if a chemical toxin that has depressive effects on the portions of the central nervous system responsible for judgement and self control might have adverse effects on the ability of a person to maintain judgement and self-control!

/s

7 Likes

Not with this hangover, any least. Amirite?

5 Likes

In my state, they don’t even have car insurance. If they’re at fault in an accident and you don’t have the fancy expensive car insurance, you pay for the damage to your car (and even with pretty fancy insurance, you still pay a deductible?). Unless the state legislature takes pity on you.

2 Likes

just destroy

FTFY!.

2 Likes

Taking people who think the guy with the gun makes the rules, and sending them on peacekeeping missions in foreign countries, is a stupendously bad idea. Do you know how much bad press we’ve already had, in the Middle East and elsewhere, from just that sort of incident? They should be banned from law enforcement and the military. (And so should people cashiered from the military for those shenanigans.)

8 Likes

Make them spend a week in Federal prison. They’ll likely never be given a job ever again after that. They love ruining people’s lives over stupid bullshit. Make the cops pay equally for their own stupid bullshit. Maybe they’d be more careful.

4 Likes

I always thought it meant that you find your target and destroy it; not ‘destroy every fucking thing in sight while searching!

7 Likes