Woman takes bar exam while in labor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/woman-takes-bar-exam-while-in-labor.html

5 Likes

She passed an entire human being.

41 Likes

amber-ruffin-what-confused

Did a man write this?

35 Likes

Yup. Kevin Reome.

Hey, Kevin, if you’re checking in, this story illustrates the need for strong unions and enforced labour laws that don’t add barriers to entry in any particular workforce for women and minorities.

25 Likes

Giving birth… while suffering from a cracked femur bone.

3 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing, Kevin! :innocent:

15 Likes

She raised the bar. God bless this child, mom is not going to be a push over. Too soon for push jokes? I propose that a bunch of lawyer types I can think of should be compelled to retake the bar while labor pains are simulated.

Women rock! Find me that story of some guy who passed stones and still finished the bar exam at the same time.

11 Likes

Kinda like saying Kerri Strung competing on a badly injured ankle in the 1996 Olympics was only impressive because she took home the gold medal.

16 Likes

I wonder if the child gets a nice legalese name, like Tort or Lien or. . . Affidavid.

11 Likes

When parents who prioritize the welfare of their children and other family, can’t get promoted into the halls of power… we all end up with systems that punish families and children. Repeat this cycle for ten generations or more, and you get… this.

7 Likes

OBSTETRICIAN, YOUR HONOR!!

5 Likes

I would start with Judith Gunderson. She may have experienced labor, I don’t know, but she has not experienced the bar exam because she got her law degree in Wisconsin, which has diploma privilege. Interestingly, she’s also the President of the National Conference of Bar Examiners, which is also based in Wisconsin, the one state where you can practice law without taking the bar exam. Actually, I’d be happy if she just got to experience taking the bar exam without the simultaneous labor.

4 Likes

Women are a force to be reckoned with

2 Likes

It is absolutely appaling that anyone could feel they can’t stop taking a fucking exam to give birth.

7 Likes

I have a friend who went into labour while her husband was away on a business trip. She proceeded to get on the train for a multi-hour journey to her home country because she had set her head for her child to be born there. She phoned her parents on the train so they could prepare an ambulance to pick her up on arrival. She made it and the baby was healthy.

Just as in this case, impressive, but not smart.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Just for the record, I was often glad for real, well meaning advice after our child was born.

And I gladly do the same for other new parents when I feel it is in order. Like the time when I mansplained to a couple that they might put a jacket on their screaming, weeks old baby they were walking in its stroller with only a thin romper on and no blanket in autumn while they were both wearing thick coats.

I also sometimes tell new parents that everything will actually get easier in time and that it is normal to feel anything beside joy when they haven’t had a good night’s sleep in half a year.

Caring for a newborn baby does not come as naturally as some might think in our society.

1 Like

I agree. She’s remarkable for taking the exam while in labor and I wouldn’t presume to tell a woman how to give birth. But it’s appalling that she didn’t feel she had another option to complete it, that there aren’t contingencies in place for people in such circumstances to re-sit the exam without waiting the six months or paying the substantial cost to retake it.

“The whole time my husband and I were talking about how we wanted me to finish the test and my midwife and nurses were so on board. There just wasn’t another option in my mind,” Hill said.

10 Likes

It’s ironic that before COVID-19, I’m assuming she would have not had the remote option to even do this. She would have had to have her labor in a classroom or conference room somewhere. Did we get better, or worse?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.