Woman who walked across thermal features at Yellowstone sentenced to a week in the slammer

Yeah, imagine how much worse the penalties would’ve been if she’d risked the health and safety of multiple people:thinking:

Never mind. :weary:

4 Likes

Maybe not partially dissolved either. Wasn’t there one where the only thing left of the dumbass was their shoes?

Yup, this was the one:

Not the sort of “hot pot” I’d consider appetizing.

I visited there a couple of times in my youth - and the “THIN CRUST” warning signs were plenty good enough to convince me to stay on the boardwalk. I recall one dumbass getting talked out of dumbassery at Old Faithful.

5 Likes

Yellowstone the geological Australia

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

6 Likes

XS5LK

3 Likes

Never go near the Geezer Basins.

1 Like

Ever taken a camera to the zoo? If you don’t have a supertelephoto, most of your pictures will be of small animals peacefully sitting in a field. They don’t capture the moment.

To get shots that fill the frame, you either need to get up close and personal, or you need to use a lens with a long focal length (300 mm works fine for me on an apc sensor.). At the zoo, there’s a fence, and a moat. At yellowstone, there’s nothing to stop you from getting close to the subject-- which will then bite, claw, maul, or burn you.

4 Likes

I’m sure they contribute to bad behavior, but 19 of the 20 known deaths in Yellowstone thermal features since the 1800’s occurred prior to 1995. People have been doing dumb stuff for a long, long time.

5 Likes

People have been inadvertently dunking into geothermal pools with injurious results for probably ever. There’s an area up in the Lassen Volcanic National Park with the amazing name of Bumpass Hell - thusly dubbed after a 19th century explorer fellow (Kendall Bumpass) was showing it to some visitors - he slipped in and burned his leg.

2 Likes

Not to mention centuries of people using thermal features as literal garbage dumps.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.