Late night stumble into Yellowstone's Old Faithful results in trip to burn ward

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/01/late-night-stumble-into-yellow.html

5 Likes

They are lucky they didn’t end up as human dim sum

13 Likes

He’s lucky he didn’t just…dissolve.

15 Likes

CSB
Wife and I went to Iceland for our honeymoon ~15 years ago. They are insanely lax about warning signs and rails. You can literally go up to the edge of Gullfoss and stick your hand into the largest waterfall in Europe. On mossy rocks. Our B&B dude told us that it eats ~3 tourists a year.

So we’re visiting Geyser (where all these spouts got their name) and we can’t believe how close you’re allowed to get to these boiling pots of god-knows-what coming out of the ground. We’re walking around, and one of them gets a little too close for comfort. We look up, and there are a bunch of people waving at us to GTFO. Turns out we missed the “don’t cross this tiny little rope” sign. Thank god we were able to navigate out of there without stepping into one of the many, many holes in the moss.

/CSB

Edit: Video of the tiny little rope:

7 Likes

Dumbass was very lucky. There’s a whole book (Death in Yellowstone) dedicated to all the careless people who have been horribly, painfully, gruesomely boiled alive.

8 Likes

Lots of bear deaths in there too.

2 Likes

Not to mention mauled by bears or trampled by bison, falling off cliffs or getting hit by falling rocks, even struck by lightning on some of the surrounding peaks, as well as other less likely things (some people suffocated by being in a low spot where carbon dioxide had pooled from one of the thermal vents). Nature does not fuck around, and if you don’t exercise due caution, you will be eligible for the Darwin Award.

4 Likes

The Gashlycrumb Tinies go Camping?

Any reports of super powers?
DF970328

7 Likes

To the consternation of the locals, there’s a seaside waterspout located on the windward side of Oahu which requires more and more warning signs every year. The signs essentially instruct people not to hilariously insert their ass into a churning hole in the rock that often suddenly emits many gallons of seawater. One risks an ugly death for a cheap laugh.

Apparently, this blowhole existed for eons before anyone needed a warning.

2 Likes

Good thing the EMTs got him out of there so quickly. It would be very bad if the bears were to develop a taste for steamed, marinated long pig.

1 Like

Was it Yellowstone where the guy got gored by a bison, then recently brought his girlfriend there where she was also gored by a bison? It seemed like some not-smart behavior was being practiced, repeatedly.

1 Like

I saw that article, and actually it was a park around Salt Lake in Utah. Witnesses said that neither time the people who were attacked by the bison were doing anything to aggravate them, although the bison might have been annoyed by other people on the trail.

2 Likes

Great vid, but the rope looks pretty obvious to me.

2 Likes

The problem was that there were no signs saying which side of the rope to be on. Literally. And there was a path leading around the wrong side. The once-every-15-minute water explosion showed us which was the “right” side :slight_smile:

2 Likes
4 Likes

You think Yellowstone is bad? Try Australia. Last I heard their pigeons had venomous three-pronged beaks.

Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

The venomous birds in Oceania are actually quite cute:

1 Like

Bird names can be hilarious.

1 Like

Confusing warblers?

They’ve heard me sing in the shower?

1 Like

If they heard me in the shower, they would probably be called “Bubbly gurglers”.

2 Likes