Woman whose accusation led to lynching of Emmett Till admits she lied

Yeah, presumably he did something that brought himself to their attention, but that could have been anything, starting with merely existing.

7 Likes

Murder, that made the top 10 list as well.

4 Likes

Don’t ya Yanks forget that this sort of thing happened everywhere (although, perhaps not as late as the 50’s)

Americans who know of the violence of this period at all tend to believe that it was confined to the segregationist South. But the fact that lynchings took place in many parts of the country was underscored recently in the northern Minnesota city of Duluth when the city unveiled a moving memorial commemorating the deaths of Elmer Jackson, Elias Clayton and Isaac McGhie, three young black men who were lynched in Duluth in 1920 while a mob of 10,000 looked on.
6 Likes

And even better they made postcards to celebrate…
We should not go back to that. Never fucking again ever.

8 Likes

Absolutely so. And I have followed this story like none other recently, perhaps because I’ve been to Sumner, Mississippi. I lived just down the road in Indianola. When I moved there in the late 90’s, I was shocked. Eighty-percent African-American in a town of 10,000 and a white mayor. It’s all you think it is and more.

But the vitriol lodged against this woman – I’m troubled. I’m not suggesting we white wash her sins. I suppose I’m asking that we ask why. Why did she lie? What was her motivation for lying? Why is she coming forth now? Why? I just asked Mr. Jilly what he thought, and after a day of more Trump, he said: “I don’t know. I’m gonna watch TV and eat some tuna.” Well, I guess that’s a good an answer as any.

6 Likes

We never left that era. We just temporarily thought we were better. Look who our new President is.

6 Likes

THIS. Growing up in Alabama we heard how King marched in Birmingham so people could sit at lunch counters, in Montgomery so they could sit on the bus.

They marched for their LIVES.

14 Likes

Sweet Home Alabama. Where the lies are so true.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.