Woman with forgetfulness and depression had an actual intruder in her brain

Originally published at: Woman with forgetfulness and depression had an actual intruder in her brain | Boing Boing

4 Likes

rihanna nightmare GIF

:pleading_face:

17 Likes

The last sentence of the “Study” section of the paper is:

Neuropsychiatric symptoms had improved but persisted.

I have no reason to doubt that she’s recovering from the neurosurgery just fine; but it sounds like a bit of a downer ending.

11 Likes

I always wonder about that star trek item…

1 Like

It was this guy who found it, wasn’t it?

hugh laurie house GIF

3 Likes

Is this Canberra, Australia?

Carpet pythons in the UK would be something new.

16 Likes

From the full article: “A 64-year-old woman from southeastern New South Wales, Australia …” So yeah, that should be Canberra, Australia, not a new one in England. @pesco

12 Likes

Needs more @pesco - it was NOT Canberra, England! (As the story makes clear.)
AFAIK there is no place called Canberra in England.

ETA And of course I should have read on to see that @awfulhorrid beat me to it.

6 Likes

After nearly killing the patient with several incorrect diagnoses and harmful treatments, all while berating the dying patient.

3 Likes

Which part of “Australian woman’s brain” was @pesco having problems with?

9 Likes

Jennifer has become a mindless beast…

3 Likes

Thanks but no thanks :grimacing::+1:

5 Likes

Carpet pythons in the UK would be something new

With the kind of wall-to-wall shag I see in UK homes I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of the carpets hid a constrictor or two.

5 Likes

It would be a bit weird to have a place name in the UK derived from an indigenous Australian word.

Yeah, there’s no happy ending possible, given the situation. The worm already did some pretty significant brain damage, plus there are ongoing problems with treatment - there are possibly other worms in her organs, and they can’t just give her something to kill them off, as having dead worms in your brain (etc.) causes its own set of serious issues… The diagnosis really came much too late.

3 Likes

She was Australian and Canberra is in Australia.

1 Like

Welcome to BoingBoing!

You may find it helpful to read the comment thread before you post.

2 Likes

Unavailable for comment

We only have three native snakes here

We also have slow worms which aren’t snakes, even though they look a bit like them

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, a few of them have somehow made it back to UK. :wink:

ETA - And according to BBC News At Ten she was originally from England. Not a native-born Aussie.

1 Like

Welcome!

(Plus what @GagHalfrunt said. Though there are plenty of long-timers here who sometimes fail to do so, including myself from time to time. But it’s a good tip, all the same.)