Woman's headphones explode while traveling on airplane

"Mr. Phelps, this mp3 will self destruct, in…”

5 Likes

Throwing a modern battery in water will only accelerate the reaction that’s happening. What you’ve got is a metal fire going on, which really wants a class D extinguisher to stop.

2 Likes

I hate to point out the obvious, but what about using non-rechargeable batteries if possible? My AT phones use three AAAs, and I use standard Duracells.

4 Likes

Never tell this story again.

8 Likes

Ok, Gonna stick with my wired headphones.

Google! You had better had a headphone jack on the Pixel 2!!!

2 Likes

They’re just trying to clear stock before the recall order rolls in :wink:

1 Like

Woman’s headphones explode

METAL.

3 Likes

6 Likes

My dad had this almost happen to him (the batteries started leaking and burning, and he noticed something was wrong), and after shopping for electronics in China for years I have seen some… interesting designs inside the cases. It’s a rough market out there, and even my wife gets suckered by paid reviews and such herself despite being a very smart woman if not tech savvy.

From when I traveled a lot and had a lot less money I followed the advice from the local cheapskate at work: over-the-ear sound protection for gun ranges (they make some really nice lightweight ones for cheap), and some comfortable headphones. It made my ears super sweaty, but the combination was terrific and I have stuck with that for noisy flights (normally using earbuds with a good seal is enough for me).

1 Like

These are all penis references, right?

2 Likes

I dunno – pretty gnarly story, I’d say run with it.

1 Like

They often do, but any use of a fire extinguisher in an enclosed passenger compartment can be an issue.

2 Likes

Almost as big an issue as a motherf***in’ fire on this motherf***in’ plane, right? :wink:

2 Likes

the narrator in the video seems to associate Melbourne with ‘Jason Bourne’ because that’s how she pronounces it. SAD

No, but have you ever discharged a dry chemical extinguisher in an enclosed space? The primary goal of the procedure now is " to extinguish the fire and cool the battery pack, preventing additional cells from reaching thermal runaway." Once this is done, it is advised to move the device to an area of the aircraft where there is no flammable material, such as the galley oven.

2 Likes

What’s an AT phone?

Audio-Technica.

This is potentially dangerous advice. If it’s something like wireless headphones, or a small fire, get the nearest fire extinguisher or a bucket of water. Water will absorb a lot of energy, it’s very costly to turn water to steam energetically speaking, so if the fire is small, it’s not worth flailing about to find a Class D extinguisher. Especially since lithium cells come in packs, so if you can stop thermal runaway from hitting the next cell by cooling, you can mitigate the damage. It doesn’t make sense to leave the fire alone. Yes lithium reacts with water, but smaller lithium ion batteries don’t have enough metal lithium for the metal-water interaction to be a bigger concern than the fire. If your Chevy Volt catches fire, that’s a different story, but for laptops, cellphones, etc. the FAA even recommends water dousing as a necessary step.

4 Likes

Heh. Somebody did it in the marching band’s storage room before I got there. It was an unfortunate mess.

If shit like this doesn’t scare you away from fake chargers, I don’t know what will:

As an electronics nerd these articles are fascinating reading.