Why it's not a great idea to charge large unbranded lithium batteries in your living room

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/10/why-its-not-a-great-idea-to.html

5 Likes

Seems like this guy is prone to silly antics, that’s why there is a nanny cam on him.

9 Likes

It was already too late when he decided to try unplugging it.

7 Likes

It doesn’t have to be unbranded cells. A home-made charger would definitely improve your odds of viral success though.

9 Likes

Where can I buy these batteries ?

6 Likes

Also, that looked like one big battery pack. I wonder what it was from?

5 Likes

“From the people who brought you fireworks!
Now there’s Fire Works!
Bring the joy and delight of a summer sky filled with 1,200-degree fireballs into your living room!
Smile as their screams of panic turn into coughs of smoke inhalation!
Watch as their eyes tear up from the smoke – just like actual tears of joy!”

3 Likes

So those are the batteries that are safe on a plane then?

5 Likes

Obligatory:

8 Likes

Almost looked like a car battery but i didn’t see any terminals on it. Could’ve been a battery for some kind of electric vehicle though if i had to guess. The video is a hell of a thing, beyond the electric fire hazard the smoke a burning battery puts out is really toxic. I really don’t know what i’d do in that situation but i’d like to think i would get the fuck out.

9 Likes

That man nearly blowed himself up

1 Like
4 Likes

Don’t buy unbranded lithium batteries, period.

3 Likes

I would really appreciate it if you could change the tag to unstable ordinance :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So battery fans say batteries are good because they are non-centralized and we can use they ourselves… Except if we don’t get them from big battery suppliers like Tesla?
Do I understand this correctly?

2 Likes

I’m going to guess it’s an e-motorcycle battery. Common to charge them at home if you don’t have an outlet where your bike is parked.

4 Likes

What’s with the annoying and interfering ad for/link to a different video at 41 s? That’s only 2/3rds of the way through the 60 s video.

1 Like

Its not necessary to buy the best batteries but get ones from reputable sources, not just reputable brands. People often buy cheap electronics and batteries online and end up with counterfeit ones that can be dangerous. When in doubt go to a local business or chain and buy through them.

5 Likes

It looks like he already has a scorch mark on the wall around that outlet. This is a guy who is slow on the uptake.