Woman's headphones explode while traveling on airplane

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/15/womans-headphones-explode-wh.html

2 Likes

Sweet babboo, that’s terrible.

I’ll keep up my existing wired ones to the phone in my pants pocket thank you, what could go wrong there?

23 Likes

The problem is that noise canceling ones all seem to need batteries in the 'phones.

7 Likes

Safer, solid electrolyte batteries can’t get here quickly enough.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/tech/new-damage-proof-battery-has-higher-energy-density-wont-explode/

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/245490-new-solid-state-battery-chemistry-glass-electrolyte-same-guy-pioneered-lithium-ion-cells

11 Likes

I’m glad i moved away from rechargeable bluetooth headphones years ago.

9 Likes

I want to know the brand. Anyone who’s followed electrical YouTube teardowns knows that cheap shit can come at a high price. Sometimes even name brands have some questionable circuitry. (See especially: YouTuber bigclivedotcom.)

There’s a real reason I don’t buy $5 phone chargers anymore, and if I have to use one I don’t use the phone at the same time. Certainly not with headphones. I don’t even trust UL marks, since I’ve seen them dishonestly applied by unscrupulous manufacturers. If it’s a cheap, no name brand, I take it apart before use unless it’s low voltage with a relatively stable battery technology.

11 Likes

Just be willing to spend a few days watching his excellent vidoes, once you start it is hard to stop.

3 Likes

The joke is that I’m carrying an even bigger battery in my pants pocket.

Also, I am glad to see you.

16 Likes

Oh shit. See? This is why I shouldn’t post when I’ve just woken up in the morning. :confused:

6 Likes

Well, good morning!

7 Likes

I have coffee now. Things are looking up :smiley:

7 Likes

Exploding batteries are disturbing, but I do take comfort in the fact that, even with it being A Story, news outlets find very few examples to report on. If a consumer product had as much as a one-in-a-million chance of exploding, we would hear about it very quickly.

Still, it’s not a bad idea to make people aware that lithium batteries can asplode. I had a laptop battery swell significantly overnight once, and the computer was still working – if I hadn’t know to scream “OH CHRIST TAKE COVER” and hurl the battery out the window, I’d be typing this post by blowing into a straw.

4 Likes

I once had a lens on my glasses explode. Stress fracture across the glass lens. Had to go to the eye doctor to have the shards pulled out of my eye. Luckily they stuck in the cornea otherwise I would have had a punctured eyeball. Freaked out the friend who I was playing cards with.

10 Likes

Bucket of water? Uh… don’t they have ABC type extinguishers? ETA - correction - I think I meant Type D.

4 Likes

was sleeping on the plane, listening to music on her headphones, when she heard a loud explosion. Then her face began to burn

Probably listening to Rush, I’ve been describing their music as such for years. Good stuff.

6 Likes

@JonS @SteampunkBanana It was surprisingly subtle. Passed below my radar first time, too. :wink:

2 Likes

That would be something for sure.

Naw, I’ll take the hit. Good comedy doesn’t have to be explained, this one is on me.

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re in the wrong place for good comedy. :innocent:
Bad puns and banana jokes seem to be th’ order of the day round these here parts.

3 Likes

Get 41% off these wireless bluetooth headphones right now in the BoingBoing store!

4 Likes