A cell phone catches fire on a plane at Sea-Tac, forcing emergency evacuation

Originally published at: A cell phone catches fire on a plane at Sea-Tac, forcing emergency evacuation | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Huh? Why not throw the phone out onto the tarmac and let airport firefighters deal with it in a safe environment? They had to open the doors anyway.

2 Likes

What kind of pos phone catches fire?

1 Like

And so, the rebellious last surviving Samsung Note 7 meets its inevitable fate…

12 Likes

Depends on the circumstances. Manufacturing defects, a dropped phone can also cause a rare malfunction, but the most common circumstance that leads to phones bursting into flames is a cheap 3rd party charger or charging cable. More often than not that’s what causes phones to explode.

2 Likes

In flight entertainment was canceled.

2 Likes

But the post-flight entertainment was spectacular.

6 Likes

Any type of phone that has been damaged may be able catch fire, such as people sitting on their phones in their back pockets, bending the phone and the battery enough to compromise it. And on airplanes, phones have slipped between the back and seat of the chairs and been damaged when the seatback position was changed.

6 Likes

Lithium ion cells produce dendrites during their discharge and recharge cycles as the lithium physically migrates from one side of the cell to the other. This has been a known problem since their inception it’s also why researchers are looking for alternatives to them.

6 Likes

Excuse me, would you let me off the plane? My phone is blowing up.

3 Likes

Samsung, who took a battering 3 years ago, are about to lose reputation points again (if the reports are correct).

Lithium-ion batteries pack a lot of energy into a tiny package. If they fail, they fail spectacularly.

1 Like

It’s the phone that regulates the charging, not the charger.

Not entirely correct. The phone assists to some capacity, the battery also regulates some of it, and the charger regulates the electricity, voltage and other functions as well. Here are articles talking about how bad chargers can damage or blow up a phone

https://www.seeasamstar.com/fake-charging-cable-affect-a-phone/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-16/if-iphone-charger-blows-up-it-may-be-a-fake-sold-on-instagram

I can find more examples but there are also warnings directly from phone makers about cheap chargers

1 Like

Smoking smartphone sparks emergency evacuation of Alaska Airlines jet, two taken to hospital

[…]

The bags Alaska uses come in two sizes: a smaller one on the flight deck for the pilots’ electronics, and a larger bag for the passengers’ kit.

The bags can withstand temperatures up to 3,200°F (1,760°C), come with heat resistant gloves to handle a burning device, and can be sealed into an airtight pocket to prevent a fire from getting out of hand and spreading.

[…]

Then again, all the heat-resistant bags in the world won’t be much use if the aircraft’s own batteries catch fire, as Boeing demonstrated with its 787 Dreamliner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.