Samsung pauses production of exploding phone as retailers pull it from the shelves

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/10/samsung-pauses-production-of-e.html

Lucky that one of the branches of this very big company is Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance.

5 Likes

I really hope this prompts a reconsideration of “slim” as the most important property of a phone.

• small battery size

Vs

• safely capacious battery

• safely fast charging battery

• less spontaneously combustible battery

I know which I’d prefer

6 Likes

Note - it should be noted that this is the Galaxy NOTE 7, not the regular Galaxy 7 that is having the issues. At least as I understand it, that is the case.

6 Likes

Noted!

5 Likes

As someone who bought a note 7, yeah this is the case.

Edit: bought and returned. I’m a little irked, wanted that phone, but like remaining explosion free more than I like styluses.

4 Likes

Those who would give up styluses to purchase a fewer explosions, deserve neither

7 Likes

But given that they are having this problem (and have managed to totally screw up when attempting to fix it), just how much can we trust any of their phones in the future? If I was in the market for a new android phone, I would definitely stay away from anything Samsung at this point.

ETA: not to mention that I am glad I didn’t buy a Samsung washing machine when I needed one last year.

1 Like

Because it sounds like it is one component of feature unique to the Note 7. It could be as simple as one sourced part failing (last I heard they suspected the batteries from one source.)

No smart phone is built dramatically different than another. All of them have little Lithium Ion bombs ready to burst into flames if they fail or are punctured.

This reminds me of the hoverboard scare many months ago because of some of the cheap Chinese ones bursting into flames.

2 Likes

Which is why it is incumbent on the manufacturer to maintain strict testing and quality control regimes in order to ensure that they sell devices rather than bombs to their customers.

Counting the washing machine issue, samsung has fallen down TWICE now on the most important aspect of the job of a device manufacturer: making sure that the device is safe. Therefore they cannot be trusted any longer. Maybe in a few years if they no longer have any QC issues, it might be sensible to consider buying from them again. But for now, nope.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.