Women sue over forced cavity searches for visitors to Rikers Island

As mentioned upthread, most contraband gets in by way of the guards, not visitors.

8 Likes

Veras said she tried to refuse and asked to leave but was [threatened] with arrest and confiscation of identification.

I… What?!

Because she was there, she couldn’t refuse to be strip searched and just go home instead?!

5 Likes

Because our society is absolutely fine with rape committed by people involved with the justice system. Oh we occasionally wring our hands about someone like Holzclaw, but go right back to making prison rape jokes and ignoring the huge number of officers who use the threat of incarceration to force sex workers to comply with their demands.

6 Likes

It depends on the security level. Not all visits are through plexiglass with telephone receivers; lower-sec facilities commonly allow supervised visits in “normal” rooms, with guards watching to make sure nothing is being passed under the table.

Like TV and the gym and the library and other things that ignorant law-&-order fetishists decry as coddling, it’s really a tool of control — a privilege that can be taken away.

(Oh, and Rikers isn’t a prison.)

6 Likes

That’s a really good point: Rikers is where people go while awaiting trial, if they can’t afford or don’t get bail.

In other words: while they are still technically “not guilty” and, in at least in some cases, actually not guilty.

10 Likes

There are convicts in there too, but only ones with short (< 1 yr) sentences or awaiting transfer. I doubt the cavity search policy applies only to their visitors though.

7 Likes

Based on your post, I know with 99.9% certainty that you have committed a number of crimes. But you’re white and male, so it doesn’t count. If you were a real Christian, you would believe that your god sees all and knows all, and you would be ashamed. But you aren’t, so you don’t, and you aren’t. Bless your heart.

2 Likes

8 Likes

White: right
Male: right
Crimes: Wuh-rong
Christian: fantasy

my post was ‘flagged’?? It was just an opinion and {common} sense ?!

At a guess, from the FAQ:

Be cool. Don’t post insulting, bullying, victim-blaming, racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks.

(emphasis mine). Stuff like that gets eaten.

7 Likes

My guess would be because it represents a disregard for facts (Rikers is pretrial holding featuring a lot of people in on misdemeanor who haven’t been convicted of anything) and a casual cruelty about sexual assault.

8 Likes

I know, you’re right, of course. In the moment I was just a little sensitive to the “strict adherence to the law applies to everyone but me” crowd. Probably due to spending a lot of time around other people yesterday.

There is nobody who hasn’t broken the law at least a few times. Obviously, we’re not all secret murderers, but the shoplifting some white person did as a teenager didn’t land them in prison, or the drugs, or stealing supplies from their workplace. And don’t get me started on driving dangerously due to alcohol or texting.

4 Likes

Other laws that most people have broken:

Jaywalking (have you ever crossed the street anywhere but a designated intersection or crossing?)
Music/movie piracy (have you ever watched a movie or listened to music from a source who didn’t have the rights to exhibit it?)
Speeding (have you ever gone even 1 kph/mph over a speed limit?)
Libel/slander (have you ever said something false about someone else that might have hurt them?)
Assault (have you ever touched someone else without their permission?)

If breaking the law meant that you forfeited all human rights, then few, if any, of us have any rights at all.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.