Women villains as role models

Maybe the old chestnut about “well-behaved women” captures the idea?

I’m feeling the urge to mansplain. Backing away slowly…

9 Likes

17 Likes

So if I am mansplaning:

What is the term for taking a single sentence, not targeted at any gender, and having the sins of 10,000+ year of patriarchy applied to it?

Whoa sorry. I didn’t mean you were mansplaining! I see how you could have gotten that from it though, I am sorry about that.

4 Likes

Mea culpa then.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone said you were mansplaining… @vert made a joke about doing so to our friend @milliefink , and I made a gif joke about his comment…

But you guys don’t need me to womansplain this to you, since you already worked it out!

8 Likes

No worries. I meant I started writing a post trying to concretize for myself what @milliefink was describing, but I realized it would probably just come off as condescending.

ETA, I think mansplaining may be a skunked term now, impossible to use without pissing someone off…

5 Likes

Well, to be fair, it usually isn’t used in a positive way :wink:

My confusion came from my assumption that your comment involved mine, because when you click on the reply links, that is the path it follows.

2 Likes

To be fair, if someone is speaking to me in a condescending manner and acting as if I can’t figure shit out because I have ovaries, should I care if I piss them off? I don’t think EITHER of you are doing that nor do you tend to do it, but at what point is it okay to say, “hey, stop treating me like I have half a brain asshole”?

19 Likes

I gather you’re saying I did so, but I can’t tell which sentence you’re talking about. Could you be more specific? Then, if your question isn’t rhetorical, maybe I can find the right term for the sin I’ve supposedly committed…

And btw, I don’t think you’ve been mansplaining so much as refusing to address what the original article actually has to say. And yeah, I’ve never heard mansplaining used in a positive way (except maybe by dudebros who are obnoxiously proud to wear the term). I find it a useful term for the way some men tend to speak to women about some issues, not for the way all men speak, about anything.

3 Likes

Never mind, it was a miscommunication and me being overly sensitive.

11 Likes

Awritey. Peace out, have a great weekend!

8 Likes

Kudos on owning the misunderstanding.

9 Likes

Same reasons we all love Trump!

I love Ursula as a character in general, and the fact that she’s based off a real life drag queen is all kinds of fabulous. Shame she’s sociopath, but for most of the movie she acts like fabulist lesson where she grant’s people’s desires at a high cost. But she’s hardly fooling anyone into it, but she’s villified for it… and for going against the patriarchy of Triton.
The movie might be better served if it didn’t need Ursula as the villain but still have her around doing her own thing. It is after all about the personal journey and growth of Ariel, not about overcoming an antagonist. Also Triton is an asshole and always considered him more of a villain than Ursula for a large part of the story.

12 Likes

Love Ursula, but mostly because she was based on Devine. But my favorite Disney villain has to be Maleficent.

5 Likes

I just stumbled across a heap of italodisco tunes by Divine the other day… so awesome! Had no idea Divine had done music at all…

9 Likes

Aye, she was quite the entertainer.

RIP

6 Likes

Absolutely Maleficent, she’s awesome and it’s the main reason that particular animated Disney film is one of my all time favorites.

4 Likes

I actually detest Disney as a company, but it is undeniable that they employ some very talented artists…

3 Likes