Women villains as role models

8 Likes

The Sleeping Beauty animated feature was groundbreaking, and watching it these days i still have a huge appreciation for how amazing the art is. Much of the animation is actually rotoscoped from filming the voice actors. Usually rotoscoping in movies looks… not great, but in Sleeping Beauty i think it’s pulled off flawlessly.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Agreed.

:blush:

1 Like

Lilith Ritter in “Nightmare Alley” played with icy intelligence by Helen Walker…she chews up Tyrone Power’s Stanton Carlisle and spits him out…

2 sides of the lady:

9 Likes

This is hysterical.

8 Likes

She can kill me with her icy stare any day

2 Likes

There was a scene in a documentary about the making of sleeping beauty of the guy fighting the dragon and just wildly swinging his sword at it. When they showed the animation over it, it was really beautiful, and really highlighted what made scenes in this film so different. I’m still working on a sword and shield based sidescroller inspired by that scene. The old Fleischer Superman cartoons also did amazing things with rotoscoping.

5 Likes

18 Likes

YES! IIRC, Disney was envious of Fleischer’s ability to draw humans better.

Also, since we are talking rotoscoping, Ralph Bakshi isn’t always as pretty, but definitely worth a mention.

4 Likes

Kate Winslet did a rather cheesy one in The Triple Nine (I am a sucker for any film with either Kate Winslet or Woody Harrelson. This had both!)

1 Like

I remember seeing that Fleischer superman animation as a kid and it blew my mind how amazing and dynamic it was. Now as an adult… it still blows my mind. The quality of it was outstanding, shame there wasn’t more of it but it must’ve been very labor intensive and expensive.

3 Likes

What is even more amazing is when you compare it to what else was around at the time. But yes, it still holds up to today as far as quality goes.

There are some older sci fi films that still impress me effects wise, like The Day the Earth Stood Still.

5 Likes

Metropolis has really great sets, and the costume design for the robot is as iconic as it gets. But back to the sets, there’s current movies that can’t match the quality of Metropolis, which is from the silent film era.

9 Likes

In music videos, though…

More to the point later, I’m busy and didn’t read the full article yet.

“villianous characters are dangled in front of heterosexual men as role models.”

Or they just get taken that way because they seem fun. I’ve lost count of how many men I know who revere Tyler Durden from Fight Club as their sort of Lord Bro And Master. When I’ve mentioned to them that Durden was a mental illness or brain tumor causing the actual person it afflicted to behave like a fascist cult leader and domestic terrorist, they look surprised. It’s like they’ve forgotten that part.

12 Likes

Fire and Ice was so damn good. but holy shit does it fail in the “strong female leads” department…

1 Like

What!? No video!!??

Roles are for people who are too wrapped up in human identity to enjoy functions!

It’s about standards.

3 Likes