Women villains as role models

I prefer antiheroes/antiheroines…both as role models and in every other sense. And yes, I couldn’t agree more, deviance is the standard of sartorial salubriousness.

Oh, and FWIW, mainly because I know @Mister44 is a dad, I automatically took his original comment in the thread as being about role models for his daughter, not for dudes. YMMV.

6 Likes

Damn republicans are everywhere these days.

Nice suit. John Phillips, London. I have two myself. Rumor has it Arafat buys his there.

It’s not as grand a scale of Metropolis, but I’m partial to the kooky sets of the Cabinet of Dr. Kaligari. Metropolis was an achievement for it’s time. It’s really too bad about the German film industry and what happened to it under the Nazis.

6 Likes

Nailed it. It’s like they miss the whole point…

Also, I love the new Mistress (Master) on Doctor Who… Evil, crazy, and stylish. I think I like her better than John Simms as the Master, at least.

9 Likes

What does he need new suits for?

1 Like

Fine. The line has not aged well.

<3 Caligari! Metropolis has wonderful sets and art direction, but otherwise I am not super into it.

Re. the article, I gotta say it had me thinking of the female characters I put into my RPG campaign, and how I portray them. Food for thought! They’re already a motley bunch of calculating necromancers, greedy fairies, noble sphinxes, and philosophical high elf rangers, but yeah. I think some of them are gonna take on some of them female villain traits, whether they are villains or not! :wink:

6 Likes

But Simms’ Master could Hulk jump! And had Force lightning! >groan< Isn’t that what the character is all about?

Gomez is my favorite Master since Roger Delgado, great acting and actually written as a real character. It was a real letdown getting Derek Jacobi as scary as hell Master for a few minutes in Utopia only for him to regenerate into Simms’ manic goofball version.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Well, obviously if your husband has decided some fellow’s loutishness towards his fair lady is so egregious that the scoundrel deserves a good thrashing, once he has administered such, he may allow you to delicately express your opprobrium. A haughty sniff and a ‘Let that be a lesson to you’, perhaps. If, that is, it would not be improper to do so. Mayhap so long as other gentlemen could not see the kind-hearted laxity he allows you sometimes as regards your manners. You should playfully broach the subject over dinner and see how he feels.:grinning:

1 Like

Speaking of Jacobi, have you seen the show Vicious? If you haven’t, run, don’t walk, and procure a copy. I’ll wait.

2 Likes

I tried to watch that, because I love Jacobi and McKellan, but the laugh track was so obnoxious I couldn’t make it through a whole episode.

1 Like

Glad for the warning, that might help me through it.

I generally despise laugh tracks, but their characters are so effortlessly wonderful I just don’t care. It is also the first thing I ever saw Iwan Rheon on, and he is magnificent. God, the entire cast is equally brilliant, which is a feat given who the leads are.

(Imma gonna go put on an episode)

1 Like

OMG SEASON THREE IS OUT AND I HAVENT WATCHED IT AND ILL BE IN MY BUNK

8 Likes

Fight Club 2 makes this abundantly clear.

1 Like

Seems to me that Gully Foyle himself loved the great villainess Olivia Presteign, the icy albino with no scruples and no fears…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.