Women who rented an Airbnb "castle" were attacked and bitten by bats

Understand Captain America GIF

OK, it was the title of the book…

5 Likes

Which, again: only an issue if you do the monumentally stupid thing of picking up a sick, wild animal.

Bats in a roost are not a problem. Bats on the ground might be a problem - and considering that the CDC reported a total of 5 cases of bat-related rabies in the USA in all of 2021, and 0 in both 2020 AND 2019… not a major one.

It’s the very definition of “Fuck around, find out”.

5 Likes

“The leader of the bat colony was similarly unhappy with the situation.

‘We told our agent to list our home with VRBO (Editor: Vampires, Revenants, Bats, and Ogres), where engaging in this sort of interaction with the guests is not only allowed, but ENCOURAGED. We always strive to provide a quality experience, and will be seeking answers as to how this all went so wrong.’”

12 Likes

In my case, they were living in the walls or the attic of an cottage with lots of cracks where the walls meet the ceiling, and I think they’d get turned around and instead of going through the outside cracks they’d come inside. I have flying squirrels in the walls too.

4 Likes

it sounds like a fun way to travel and see new places, getting them all to flap at once i mean

i, myself, am a little old fashioned. not so much bats in the walls, as giant chicken in the basement

16 Likes

Baba Yaga is the Air BnB host?

13 Likes

You can check in any time you like…

8 Likes

I love that book so hard… It was one of my daughter’s faves when she was young…

3 Likes

… how do I start rolling up a character :game_die:

7 Likes

tbf that castle didn’t even have a belfry

4 Likes

True story:
I knew someone who got bitten by a bat on a camping trip - it flew out of the night and attacked him as he sat at a campfire, so he reasonably assumed it had rabies and having killed it (because it kept attacking him), stuck it in a cooler to take back for tests. The next day, when he had returned to civilization and called a medical provider to get treatment, they simply laughed at him, refusing to believe him. He was baffled, not understanding why this serious situation was being treated as a joke. Then he realized it was October 31st…

I assumed it was someone embellishing an otherwise true story, if they did indeed get treated for bat bites. (Although if they got treated for bat bites, that suggests the bats were rabid, so they very well could have been flying into people’s hair…) Though the story says they were told to get rabies shots, but not if they actually did - if they didn’t get treated for bat bites, it was a fatal flaw in their narrative and the lawsuit.

I thought so too, until someone I knew was sitting at a campfire while out camping, and had a bat fly out of the night and start attacking him, unprovoked. It kept biting him, too - he had to kill the thing by swatting it (which presumably would have been impossible if it were healthy). He just assume it was rabid, given how unusual the behavior was - though it was so unusual, even for a rabid animal, that it might have had something to do with why the doctors didn’t believe his story.

tmnt-series-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

3 Likes
1 Like

A7E

3 Likes

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.