Wonder Woman smashes box office records

Maybe what will happen is that the director of WW will get tapped for more movies, and it will be all Ok.

I am hoping for an Elektra reboot, for one.

1 Like

thank the gods Gil has finally replaced angelina!

You know how it is - first it can’t be done - then when it is - it’s not very good and won’t make any money.

3 Likes

I will want anything with Ezra Miller and Jason Momoa, so you hush your face!

7 Likes
2 Likes

I think Marvel specifically asked themselves this and purposefully chose to migrate development to Netflix. Not everything needs to be a blockbuster. And using a smaller format like Netflix allows them to do more character development with serialized story lines.

The one thing I would say is the issue is it presents a different set of potential problems. Bad casting/acting can be covered up in an ensemble cast, with big budget spectacle special effects and such. Small screen items mean they have to get the line up right. Examples: Jessica Jones and Luke Cage vs Iron Fist.

As I said in the other thread, its a solid film. Good story, great action, great effects, and Godot embodied the character perfectly in every way. My only nitpick was about the Ares character, and wishing in general it was more colorful (though it was in parts, and that is just my general complaint with super hero movies).

If you like comic books and/or action films, you will like this.

3 Likes

These particular male critics are entitled to their opinions. Similarly, their shitty opinions are now in stone for everyone to mock.

2 Likes

Oh, sure, there’s a Wonder Woman, but where is Wonder Man?
Sexism!

(Sarcasm)

5 Likes

Testing spoiler tag, last time i was having trouble getting it to work. Crap… Didn’t work. What’s the spoiler tag?

Edit: Got it

I think the movie could have done better with keeping the main antagonist out of the movie up until the last second, without a brawl between them. WW should’ve gone after the main german guy and defeated him, while at the same time Chris Pine’s character would go stop the plane and die. End the movie with her grieving but knowing she helped stop the war, then as the movie is about to end have Aries show himself to her. Fade to black

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet, but the promotional materials indicate that it’s color graded orange and teal, yawn…

2 Likes

Nah. It isn’t.

2 Likes

I know you’re joking but that does remind me. I’ve never quite come to terms with Batgirl and Supergirl. They’re women but are infantilized with the girl term, but maybe i’m reading too much into it. Just sounds somewhat condescending. It’s not that big of a deal but i do wonder about it.

2 Likes

Who said they weren’t entitled to their opinions? They just don’t get to be the only ones who have opinions and aren’t free from commentary on their opinions.

2 Likes

Hey! How’d you do that?

I wasn’t implying that you’d said they werent :slight_smile: i was pointing out that they were free to say whatever they wanted to say. Much to their own detriment as you’ve just said. Sorry, i tend to word things in particular ways sometimes.

1 Like

Looks more like teal and madder to me…

1 Like

Note: a soupçon of spoilerage appears below.

I am not at all a fan of DC, so deviations from her “true” origin story don’t interest/upset me. (Quotes around “true” for its shaky value in this case…read Jill Lepore’s amazing book on WW’s originator and the film’s setting in World War I makes even more sense ; -)

Thus freed of comics baggage, it’s easy for me to say that this film was absofuckinglutely fantastic! Gal Gadot – working from a tight script under Jenkins’ canny eye – exceeded all expectations. She uses her face and voice with the nuance and depth of Olga Kurylenko or Tom Hanks and his hand-acting. There’s something wrong if you don’t shed one or more tears at “But Charlie, [if you don’t come along] who will sing to us?”(Plus she was pregnant during filming – for reshoots they had to place green fabric over her baby bump. WW indeed!)

Chris Pine is our new Michael Biehn: he’s Reese/Hicks, Mark 2. As Steve Trevor he defers to Diana not because he’s wounded or duty-bound to protect her, but because he understands that she is a warrior/leader/woman fully worthy of his loyalty and sacrifice. (His attempts to guide Diana aren’t so much mansplaining – he tries that shit, like, once – as being Cousin Larry working hard to help Balki Bartokomous navigate a new world; -) The men in this film who matter (soldiers, comrades, the Bad Guys) play their hands without laying down any gender cards. It’s incredibly refreshing.

WW works as a war movie, it works as a superhero-origin action flick, and it especially works as an allegorical study of growing up as a post-1st-and-2nd-wave-feminism modern woman, without preaching or apologizing.

(Perfect film? No, boo-hoo. You’ll just have to settle for fantastic, so sorry ; -)

7 Likes

Took me some detective work, i see people use them all the time but never see how… but it’s pretty easy actually!

[spoiler ] text [/spoiler ]

Without the spaces within the tags of course.

1 Like

Thanks!

9 characters

1 Like