Wonder Woman smashes box office records

She-hulk would be fantastic but I don’t really see Marvel jumping on that character (would love to be proven wrong). Squirrel girl I also doubt we’d see in a main Marvel movie, more than likely it’d be in a series. The humor around her might work better in that space anyway

If I remember correctly a Batgirl movie might happen too

Squirrel Girl is coming to Freeform:

She seems like an odd fit for the New Warriors, and could easily carry her own show if written like the current comic. I want to be optimistic, though.

3 Likes

oh you don’t have to qualify this with personally feel…this is FACT! The animated stuff is better than anything anywhere, including live action Marvel flicks. BTAS by Dini and Timm is the bench mark. Park dark noire, part retro, part campy, part ultra serious. It took on real issues and showed what a superhero series could truly be. The animated stuff has all followed the formula Timm and Dini set up even if they’ve altered the animation style at times.

3 Likes

using only the first two days it still under performs against suicide squad and most DC movie openings. It’s just not that great no matter how you try and spin it.

this shows us exactly what WW and AM would do without Supes and bats.

They would NOT get along at all.

1 Like

Yeah, not that great. SAD!

13 Likes

You have to understand given her origins (which marvel has not retconned at all) against the current socio-political climate makes it nigh untouchable.

@popobawa4u We are getting Squirrelgirl.

1 Like

Had to look it up on IMDB to be sure, but head bad guy is played by the actor* who plays VM Varga in the current season of Fargo.

That character is so horrid you really, really want the show to bring back the movie’s wood chipper, so he can be fed into it alive, feet first.

(*Also Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter flicks.)

3 Likes

Quite honestly, that was one thing that made me go “hmmm” early on in WW. I love David Thewlis, but he’s not the kind of actor you hire for a brief cameo as a British general. The German bad guy was so over-the-top evil that I had to wonder if he was a red herring, and kept wondering if David Thewlis would do his evil weasel thing he does so well.

3 Likes

I guess the question when you look at the footage so far: do you see something closer to Aquaman from the Brave and the Bold, or do you see something closer to the so-90s-I’m-grunge-even-as-I’m-underwater Aquaman? Through the lens of Snyder-vision, I see the latter.

One thing that bothered me, that is actually a pretty great thing in the context of the movie but not for Wonder Woman as a franchise:

Killing off Steve Trevor marked him as a self-sacrificing hero and a message to Diana that humanity can do noble things. But Trevor was major running character in the comics and on the TV show. This kind of signals that WW won’t be doing any adventures on her own, but only as a part of the Justice League.

3 Likes

To quote you: not really.

It grossed $230 million worldwide, making it a higher opening than Iron Man, Iron Man II, Man of Steel, and the first Hobbit movie. It’s 41st overall since 2002. That’s all in inflation adjusted 2017 dollars, too.

Seems to be pretty good proof that there’s a huge market for female superheroes.

6 Likes

It’s changed over the years, and will change again. I think in the Golden Age she was at first the queen’s daughter, then later shown to have been carved out of magic clay, Pygmalion-style.

Honestly, there hasn’t been enough footage for me to judge. Aquaman’s spoken only a word or two and has just glared; I’m definitely not going to predict what kind of film Aquaman will be by three or four seconds of footage and some pictures of Jason Momoa posing dramatically.

Yes, because DC fans have been desperate for a hit, and flock to those first weekends. They then implode because no one wants to see them again. You also failed to note it out-earned Captain America: Winter Soldier (a hit) and Guardians of the Galaxy (also a hit), neither of which broke $100 million domestically their first weekend.

1 Like

well. its comic book logic, whether in print or media. No one is ever dead, nor is any origin sacrosanct.

Yeah, he was so clearly some kind of bad guy, but I actually didn’t expect him to be Ares

2 Likes

She’s just too powerful to find an opponent. Even Galactus was no match.

But - why do they all need to be blockbuster sized? Start a different imprint. A noir more adult Jessica Jones movie etc.

3 Likes