Wonderful new Windows feature records everything you ever do on your computer and feeds it to AI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/wonderful-new-windows-feature-records-everything-you-ever-do-on-your-computer-and-feeds-it-to-ai.html

18 Likes

episode 12 gold GIF

Said every spy agency on the planet.

16 Likes

With some AI offerings if I try hard enough I can imagine a hypothetical scenario where I could somewhat appreciate using it… but this is horrible.

12 Likes

As you might imagine, all this snapshot recording comes at a hardware penalty. To use Recall, users will need to purchase one of the new “Copilot Plus PCs” powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X Elite chips, which include the necessary neural processing unit (NPU).

Right-oh. So I will also have to pay more to enjoy this wonderful technology.

I’m glad about a week ago I decided to initiate a full transition to Linux (and FreeBSD for TrueNAS).

I have been a Linux user since Mothers’ Day +1, but I have a very mixed environment at home (Windows server domain, Hyper-V, and FreeBSD, Linux and Windows clients).
Replacing “Anywhere Access” convenience (free, once you have a Server Essentials 2016 license) is still next to impossible, guacamole gets close but xrdp is infuriating, Nomachine has only paid subscription plans for my needs.

90% of my games are OK. Some application cannot be replaced and need Wine/Proton.

But I’ll get there in the end, I’m not scared.

12 Likes

Does nobody remember the lessons from the Klondike gold rush? The people who made money were those selling picks, shovels, dynamite and other mining supplies. More spent on them than was taken out of the ground in gold.

So Microsoft have, they don’t want NVIDIA to be the only dynamite shop in town. They are making dynamite and selling it to you also.

9 Likes

THERE’S GOLD IN THEM THAR BACKUPS!! HEE HEEEE!!!

WalterHustonProspector

10 Likes

This is not at all terrifying! :scream:

10 Likes

I hope it likes watching me hit Ctrl + Z a lot, and hit Save Template with a lot of waiting…

7 Likes

1uqxmh

17 Likes

I know this is just corporate flim-flam, but… why? Like, you can’t even come up with a remotely plausible use case for this?

13 Likes

A mega corporation that requires a more intimate relationship than most marriages and I don’t even remember getting to first base.

13 Likes

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

13 Likes

Besides the privacy horrors, just think about trying to work with this albatross. You know how when you try to walk your dog, but you want to go an unusual route so you have to keep correcting the dog? This “Clippy on Steroids” is going to constantly interrupt you with irrelevant suggestions and offers to help. It’s going to be a dog that keeps incorrectly anticipating your next turn.

10 Likes

I didn’t buy a personal computer for Microsoft to enclose it.

Computer_Lib_cover_by_Ted_Nelson_1974

7 Likes

Lol!

IIRC (it’s been a while, like when Clinton was still POTUS), on MacOS*, instead of Clippy, Office had a litlte puppy, which made one feel guilty whenever one deactivated assistance & the puppy trotted offscreen. Don’t like the new AI? Why do you hate puppies so much, Gov. Noem?

*Office for Mac had other problems, e.g. the SUM() function giving an incorrect sum. Would not recommend esp. for working on Form 1040

5 Likes

Management checking up on your productivity, of course. I understand screencap and activity-monitoring are already pretty widespread, especially in some wfh or hybrid shops. Without having read more than the linked article, my first impression is that MS wants that business and is streamlining it.

10 Likes

Mint is a very nice Linux distro. Very beginner-friendly. I like the XFCE version. It’s free, and you can boot it from a flash drive to try it out.

12 Likes

Ugh, you’re right. I’m so grateful that my boss leaves me to my own schedule and workflow. Honestly, he wouldn’t even begin to know how to monitor me effectively, but that’s never stopped corporate middle managers.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s what I’m running, too. Of all the distros I’ve tried, it’s by far my favorite for general use.

1 Like

The dog was just an option for appearance you could choose in the Office Assistant’s settings. There were around a half dozen available by default and you could download a bunch more.

2 Likes